Partial mash time question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tincob

Reaction score
I'm on my third extract batch and I would like to venture into the partial mash world for my fourth.

I looked at some of the instructions for partial mash kits online and they have a wide range on time for steep/mashing, anywhere from 30-75 mins.

In reading various threads, the mashing time should be determined by when conversion is reached?

How do you check for conversion? Iodine tincture turning some color (purple)?

Check every 5 mins or something after the initial 30 mins are up?

Should I follow the instructions that come with the kit or stick with DeathBrewer's PM method?

I also have to decide which style I want to make for my first PM batch. :rockin:

I always PM for an hour. That's long enough to pretty much ensure you've had conversion. You could go less if you want to test, but I'm not wanting to bother with that. You could go more to REALLY make sure, but an hour should be good if you have your recipe and your grain/water ratio right and hit your temps and aren't mashing really low on purpose.

DB's method is solid and easy to follow. You can also use your oven to maintain mash temp (just warm it up at it's lowest setting and turn it off when you put your mash pot in) and just give it a stir once or twice during the hour. That's what I did before I made my cooler mash tun for my PM's.

It's really not rocket surgery, so as long as you keep an eye on your temps you'll be just fine.

I did a 40 minute mash. Don't know how it turned out yet...

My first two batches have been PMs and I found it really quite simple for a noob. Most of the instructions I found reccommended a 40 minute mash. Good luck. Also, since you are looking for styles... My first was a IPA and my second was a belgian ale

How do you check for conversion? Iodine tincture turning some color (purple)?

Black, and there's no point in checking before 30 minutes. A mash might be done in 20, but that would be only if everything went perfectly.

just my .02 cents, but i've been doing the AHS PM kits. the first was the Double Chocolate Stout. i used DB PM method. my OG turned out high compared to the instructions, and my FG was also high. (there were also some other issues that could have caused this, it was my first PM)
I've done 3 since then and followed their directions exactly, and have gotten exact OG/FG since. i would recommend that you follow the directions if you get a kit (especially from AHS, their instructions are very good). then later on if you want to modify, go ahead.
a lot of people start out modifying recipes/procedures and then get undesirable effects. just do it by the book. then modify if you see fit later on.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll stick with the kit instructions (thanks eppo) for the first batch or two before going to DB's method.

I'll error on the side of safety and mash for 45 mins before checking. I already have the iodine tincture so I can do a spot check. No sense in using electricity needlessly.

Latest posts

Back