Partial Mash IPA Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Queen

Reaction score
Hey all,

I made a partial mash IPA, and it didn't turn out as full as I hoped. It was good, but it could have been better. I'm looking for suggestions:

Morgan's IPA Malt kit
Safle S0-5
1 KG of Light DME
1 lb of Canadian Two Row(LOV 2-3.5)
1/2 lb Munich Malt (LOV 9-12)
1/4 lb of Crystal Malt (LOV 13-16)
1/4 lb of Caramunich Malt (55-65)

Hop Additions:
1 oz Centennial @ 45 m
.8 oz Amarillo & Centennial @ 10 m
1.6 oz Cascade @ 5 m
.8 oz Cascade & Centennial @ 0 m
1.2 oz Cascade Dry Hop (7 days, Secondary)
.8 oz Amarillo Dry Hop (7 days, Secondary)

I really liked the hop additions, but I felt the body was low, the malt flavor wasn't there, it was just.. thin?

Any suggestions to make this better would be great!

What size batch is this?

The basic answer for beers lacking in malt is to add more malt or malt extract, but since you want a good balance of hops to malt (and vice versa), it's important to make sure that there are enough hops (IBUs) to balance the amount of malt in the recipe.

Assuming a 5 gallon batch, I calculate an OG of about 1.050. That is low for an American IPA. Try adding another half kilo of DME. If it's still too thin, try a full kilo.

A couple other things you could try:

• Do your partial mash at 160º
  • Add 4-8 ounces of Carapils
All three of those options should give you a bit more sweetness but also more body.

Assuming a 5 gallon batch, I calculate an OG of about 1.050.

Would be more like 1.030. So I assume this is a 2.5 gal batch OP? Did you check the OG of your mash? Looking at that recipe I wouldn't expect it to be thin if you got good conversion and were in the 1.060 range.

Hey, it was a 5 gallon, OG was 1.040.

How do you calculate your OG at first? (Sorry for the newbie question)

Well I guess that answer's the question of why it's thin bodied. I think though that either your volume or weights were off, or your sample was not well mixed. I don't think it's possible to hit 1.040 with that recipe in 5 gals, even at 100% efficiency I'm getting about 1.034 in Beersmith.

Most folks use a calculator or software (like Brewer's friend, Beersmith, etc.). If you know your approximate efficiency you can estimate by hand as well. Like this:

- DME has approx 45 pts per lb. 2.2 x 45 = 99 pts from the DME.
- Grain you can estimate has approx 36 ppg (some a little more, some less but close enough to estimate at 36):
2 lb x 36 = 72 pts if 100% efficiency
Adjust for your actual efficiency (say 75%): 72 x .75 = 54 pts
Then 54 + 99 = 153 pts, divide by 5 gals = 30.9 pts per gal, or 1.031

So you've probably got a beer around 3% ABV. You need to approx double your malt/grainbill to be in IPA range.

Ah, good catch. I was reading that as the full ingredient list for the kit. I'm actually getting around 1.058 in 5 gal with that additional LME (3.75 lb x 36 = 135 more gravity pts). OP, I suspect a measurement error on you OG, even with zero from the mash you should be higher than that. Where did it finish? Looks like a nice pale ale recipe actually.

Back