Partial-Mash help: Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkormat

Reaction score
okay, so for my second brew I'm going for a double IPA. my problem is this: I was taught two ways to do a partial mash, one for 2.5+# of grain, the other for under 2.5#. like an idiot, not paying attention to what my grain weight actually was (3.5#), I tossed my grain (in a sack) into 3 gal of water per the method for less than 2.5# of grain. for reference, here's the difference between the two methods: http://www.sanfranciscobrewcraft.com/articles.asp?id=133

so my question is this: am I gonna be screwed as far as getting enough sugar/flavor into my wort? the guy at my LHBS accidentally game me an extra half pound of LME, so i suppose I do have that extra half pound to fall back on... the malt has another 20 minutes steeping before I take it out to start my boil, so any help will be great

Well, 3 gallons of water is actually more than you want for 3.5 lbs of grain. 1.5 quarts per pound of grain is a good rule of thumb.

To me, you're going to get BETTER results from this than you have using 3 gallons of water for less than 2.5 lbs of grain.

Back