Partial Mash for First Brew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jskinner10

Reaction score
So do I really need to do an extract kit for my first brew to get a feel for the process or could I do a PM batch with relative ease?

Partial mash isn't that much more complicated than an all extract, especially if your handy in the kitchen and are not afraid of complex recipes.

There's no reason you *have* to do an extract-only kit for your first batch. So long as you feel you have a handle on all the variables of mashing (temp control, volumes for mash/sparge, etc) and the reasons behind them, you'll be fine. My first few PM batches were a mess of screwed up temperatures and overshooting volumes, but you'll get beer either way :mug:.

That said, I've had a number of absolutely fantastic extract kits in the past, some of which I continue to revisit. Is there a reason you don't want to do extract?

I have heard that doing extract to start is a wise idea to get a feel for how boils go. With that said, since I had observed a friend of mine brew beer about 5 times before I got my own equipment, and so I already kind of knew how things go. I did a partial mash for my second batch and all grain my third. Both went relatively easy since I had the back ground. If you have a back ground of knowing how things are supposed to go, then go for the gusto. Have fun.

I'm thinking about going PM for my first batch just because I hear it makes a better/more complex brew in general. I'm relatively handy in the kitchen and have helped a friend out on both PM and all-grain batches before. Is there really that noticeable a difference in flavor and complexity between extract and partial mash?

If you can make coffee, you can brew a partial mash beer. You don't need any special equipment that you wouldn't need with an extract beer with steeping grains, except for maybe a decent thermometer!

Back