Partial Mash Brewing from All Grain End of Runnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachpetersen

Reaction score
Don't know if that makes sense but here we go...
So I run a brewing club and we do 15+ gallon all grain brews about twice a month and recently set up a way for our members to use/check out equipment equipment to brew on their own between our meetings.
We also just recently nailed our efficiencies. I kept our lower efficiency so our end of runnings still clocks in between 1.026-1.033 every time and have been dividing out the remaining runnings to our members, then they go how and brew with the runnings.
Its been great because they can experiment and add their own twists and what not on our group brew. Super fun and keeps our members active between brews, also that way they don't just have to attend a big brew, they can do it themselves!

What I have been doing is making recipes for everyone, accounting for the gravity of the runnings then determining the amounts of LME they need to add.
I use Beersmith and would love to be able to do that in the program. I have tried to make a little grain bill that yields that same gravity but then it assumes that they will have 4 gallons of this where in reality they only walk away with 1-2.5 gallons of our runnings.

Question is, how can I set up something in beer smith that knows what grains this is coming from, the volume they are starting with then go forward accordingly.

That's a cool idea. I think you will need to create a new equipment profile with a very low brewhouse efficiency based on trial and error results. Or change the potential in the grain. This is in the grain settings. (I.e. 1.037 to 1.020)

You can also copy the grains and change the °L based on trail and error.

In the end this will take a while to get something right, but try these ideas and I am sure you can find values that work.

This is more complicated that it originally seemed to me.
There are a lot of variables including:
-Gravity of the wort
-Volume of wort
-What size batch each brewer will make from the supplied wort.
-Desired OG of the runnings +Extract
-Boil time
-Boil vigor
-Evaporation rate
Some may want to make a super small batch and not add any water to the runnings, some may want to make 4 or 5 gallon batches.
I think the best solution is to provide guidance and not an exact recipe.
Something like, "Add the volume of water to reach your pre-boil volume, boil for an hour, pull a sample and chill in an ice bath and take a gravity reading, determine how much extract to add based on the reading and the desired gravity."

I have no idea how in beersmith you can mange that. I just tried a bit, and cant come up with a good solution. A few years ago when a buddy of mine was brewing a huge 3x ipa, I used about 2.5 gallons of his end of runnings (1.032) if memory serves me right. The only way I was able to figure it out was by adding DME a bit at a time and checking the gravity with my refractometer until I researched the Gravity I was looking for, then went on to boil. In the end I was really just guessing with a little experience.

But then again if someone took with them 2 gallons of wort at 1.030 lets say - Then just do the math as to what, for example 2lbs of dme in 3.5 gallons of water works out to for a OG - I think with a little thought and math you can come up with it.. I think. Never really tried it. But its gotta be possible somehow to work out the ratio/percentage close enough to work with?

Will def take someone smarter than myself! But its gotta be do able based on some math figures and no how.

BTW that is a great idea to get everyone involved and then create more discussion and learning based on tasting after wards.. Very cool concept!

Last edited:
Back