Partial Mash Beta-Glucan Rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzombie

Reaction score
I'm doing a partial mash for a Rye IPA with 45% Rye Malt and 9% Flaked Wheat. Do I need a beta-glucanases/cytase rest to stop it from gumming up? I tried a similar mash awhile back and it was a disaster, even with batch sparging. I've thinned out the mash somewhat and added rice hulls, but I still think I might need a beta-glucanase/cytase rest of 20 minutes at 40 C (104 F). I've never done one before.

Anyone have experience with this?

When using large amounts of wheat I'll do a beta glucan rest. I think 10 minutes is usually long enough, IIRC. It'll turn from oatmeal into a "normal" mash. How long that'll take may vary. No experience with rye.

When using large amounts of wheat I'll do a beta glucan rest. I think 10 minutes is usually long enough, IIRC. It'll turn from oatmeal into a "normal" mash. How long that'll take may vary. No experience with rye.

There's ~27% crystal malts in the mash too, so I figure I may need the longer rest for the enzymes to work. Not sure though. Maybe I'll aim for 15 min.

Anyone have experience with rye malt and BG-rests? Even though the rye is malted it seems to turn gummy. Maybe a protein rest is more appropriate, but I don't want to reduce head retention.

Latest posts

Back