Partial Mash as first brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooley

Reaction score
I'm sure some folks have come right out of the gate doing Partial Mash, or even AG for that matter as their first brewing experiences.

Does anyone have any input as to pros and cons of diving in head first? Do you think you a new brewer or someone first starting out should start out with extracts? Or is it like anything else, you're only as good as what you're comfortable with?

I understand you want to do a simple process to begin with so you get the hang of the process, sanitization etc.

The reason I'm asking is I really want to try Partial Mash and I don't think it sounds terribly diffficult. I think it seems more like "real brewing" because you're actually using grains and such instead of just syrup or powder, ya know?

No reason you can't start out with a partial mash but you could do an extract with specialty grains. It is somewhat less complicated and ight be better for a first brew.

My wife ordered my brewing kit for me several Christmas' past, and love her heart, got a PM batch. When I (the *******) re-ordered 3 all grain kits (b/c the last kits had grains right?) they arrived & I set out to brewing.

After about 30 minutes in HBT chat & a trip to the hardware store, I built myself a mash tun & proceeded to brew on.

So, I brewed one PM batch, and all the others have been AG, never done an extract batch. I think everything turned out ok!

...When I (the *******) re-ordered 3 all grain kits (b/c the last kits had grains right?) they arrived & I set out to brewing.

After about 30 minutes in HBT chat & a trip to the hardware store, I built myself a mash tun & proceeded to brew on.

I think you knew EXACTLY what you were doing :wink: "Oops, I guess I have to go all out! Sorry honey, MY BAD!" HAHA!

No reason you can't start out with a partial mash but you could do an extract with specialty grains. It is somewhat less complicated and ight be better for a first brew.

So you would boil the LME or DME as you would in an extract kit and add grains after the boil? Or to the fermenter?

You steep the grains in water at 155 for 30 minutes then add the LME or DME and boil. You can get kits with all the stuff you need including directions from any online or local home brew store.

Back