Parti Gyle - 15 Gallons 1 mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aridhol

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some advice from the community here on the feasibility of an idea.

Basically I would like to get 2 beers out of 1 mash using my 17Gallon mash tun (just a cooler :) ) . I had hoped to max out the space with 1:1 ratio.

The first would be 5 gallons of a high gravity dark beer like an imperial stout.
The second I was hoping to squeeze out 10 gallons for something more like a lighter stout or porter.

Is this possible in one mash if I fill it up and overshoot on my grain purchase? Should I try and do 2 sparges? Will I likely need to add some extract?

Could I even squeeze 5 more gallons of a light brown out of it?

http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.2/moshertable.html

That chart has worked for me in two separate parti-gyle experiments. As you can see, what you are looking to do is relatively feasible. Say you want your small stout/porter to be 1.050, you would want your total batch OG to be 1.067 and your first runnings should be about 1.105. As long as you know your efficiency you can build a full batch recipe at full volume and if it's at 1.067, you will have a very good chance of hitting all your numbers. Good luck, those are longish brewdays. If you can boil them both at once that will save you some time. Cheers!

I just did a partigyle in my 70qt cooler. I mashed 27 lbs at 1.6 qt/lb. First beer was 1.118, the second was 1.057 after capping it with 1 lb 2-row, 1lb vienna and 1/2 lb carapils. Both are 21 qt batches.

118 x 21 + 57 x 21 = 3675 total points. Divided into three 21 qt batches would be 1.058.

One thing I've found very useful is the equations on Kai's efficiency page to calculate the first running gravity. Sparge gravity is simple dilution of the grain absorption.
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Understanding_Efficiency

Impalse, thanks for the chart. I Parti Gyle all the time, This chart will help. If I want a heavy beer, I will mash and collect my first runnings, sparging enough for my batch volume. I will then re mash for my second runnings, I will let this sit while I boil, chill and transfer my first brew. Then complete the second brew.
If I want two similar brews, (example an amber and then a brown), I will collect the amber wort, then cap the first mash with a small grain bill for my second running / brew. The sample is usally about 5 to 7 lbs. The two brews take six hours rather than four and four for two seperate brews.

That's awesome, I'm glad it helped. I did cap my second partigyle, a DIPA then an American red, adding MO, Munich and crystal as a cap. Both were delicious.

What I enjoy about brewing parti gyle is the saving of time, Just one cleanup instead of two and one large water boil The little problem I have is consistancy of the second brew. I love brown ale and I have found it is a very forgiving brew so this is usually my second.

Thanks Impulse! that will help a lot :)
Glad to hear my idea is feasible.

I only have the 1 burner but I may enlist help from my friend and get his as well to cut down the time. Even then I think we'd be looking at 8-10 hours including cleanup.

I'll try and take pictures / notes to update the thread.

Latest posts

Back