Partgyle Double SMaSH - check my math?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

944play

Reaction score
Got 20lbs Pale Ale Malt. Toasted about 3lbs of it at 350F for about 20min - was a little acrid right after I cooked it, but I came home to a nutty, chocolatey smelling house this afternoon! Sweet.

So here's the plan:

Cascade IPA:
Preboil ~1.060, OG ~1.065 Approx 50 IBU
Cascade pellets 6% 2oz 60
Cascade pellets 6% 1oz 15
Whirlfloc, Wyeast Nutrient
Cascade pellets 6% 1oz 5
WLP001, 1qt DME starter
Cascade pellets 6% 1oz dry, secondary

Small beer:
Preboil ~1.035, OG ~1.040 Approx 30 IBU
Glacier pellets 6% 1oz 60
Glacier pellets 6% 1oz 15
Danstar Windsor

Fudge factors entered for efficiency and volume (runoff/boiloff) variations. I've gotten right around 70% historically. Software is saying I can get about 11 gallons of 1.050 total runnings.

I just got a turkey fryer, so while I could actually boil these simultaneously, that could get pretty hectic. Would it be ok to leave the 2nd runnings in the tun, sitting on the mash at 160ish for a couple hours?

Any suggestions for fermentation schedules?

Sounds like a good plan! You should end up with two yummy beers there.

Yes, you can - and should - let the second mash sit for a couple of hours. It certainly won't harm anything, and the historical records specify a long second mash. Indeed, some recipes specify a third mash for even longer than the second. We're talking three+ hours, here. So you're doing something good by letting the second mash sit for 90+ minutes.

Bob

Yes, you can - and should - let the second mash sit for a couple of hours. It certainly won't harm anything, and the historical records specify a long second mash.

Okay, that's great! I'm actually just now starting to read the "Bitters and Pale Ales" chapter from Designing Great Beers.

I think I have everything I need except a few bags of ice. Starter has dropped kraeusen and is chilling now, and I have a growler of a really nice local ESB for inspiration. :mug: Time to say cheers to my inner Englishman.

Edit: Forgot to put the braid in the MLT so had to transfer the mash to my kettle. My mash temp was also a little below target, so I decided to do a decoction. That should add a nice little bit of color.

Edit II: IPA brew went just about perfectly! Boiled off a little more than I was expecting, so I have just 5 gallons at 1.072. Fine with me....

Edit III: Small beer wound up with a lower volume also, but gravity is right where I was shooting for at 1.041. All in all, a very nice brew day.

Edit IV: Small beer slowed down to almost zero so I took its gravity: 1.012! Awesome. Green but clean. This will be a super easy drinker. Just hope the IPA attenuates like f&@k!

Edit V: Small beer, bottled 9-23, is coming into its own. It's kinda boring, but it's beer. The IPA was bottled last night, 10-3. The hydrometer sample tasted JUST LIKE Anchor Liberty, but knocking on the door of 8%... :drunk: FG 1.012, 82% apparent!

2967458507_8a88b00cdf.jpg

7.9% and tasty.

Winnah!:rockin:

...some recipes specify a third mash for even longer than the second. We're talking three+ hours, here. So you're doing something good by letting the second mash sit for 90+ minutes.
Out of interest, with a very long mash would there be any risk of tannin extraction from the grain, or is that just at higher temps?

Danek,

Temperature is, so far as I know, what starts to leach tannins from the husks. In this example, however, you may be onto something. The second (or third) mashes ramp ever hotter as well as longer. And the historical record about which I wrote is also full of how astringent and rather nasty the last runnings small beer was.

Bob

Latest posts

Back