Little Sumpin Style Recipe - My First Non Clone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KlausUndFriends

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I recently bottled my CYBI's Little Sumpin clone, and it smelled amazing when I bottled it! I have some LME to use up, so thought I'd take a crack at my first non clone recipe, based on the Little Sumpin. Let me know what you think!

I have 2x 6 gal carboys and below is all the LME I have, so those amounts can't change.

5lbs MO LME
2lbs Wheat LME (65:35 barley)

1.8lbs Torrified Wheat
0.2 lbs White Wheat Malt

1oz Columbus (14.2%) @ 60 mins
1oz EKG (4.6%) @ 15 mins
1oz Progress (5.8%) @ 10 mins
1oz Centennial (10.3%) @ 5 mins
1oz Cascade (9%) @ 2 mins
1oz Cascade @ flameout
1oz Centennial @ flameout

Via Beersmith -
Est OG: 1.052
IBU: 45.7
Color: 8.2
Est ABV: 5%

Thanks! K.

I could actually increase the Wheat LME... I'm going to the LHBS this afternoon for the specialty grains.

I've tried cloning Lil Sumpin at least a half dozen times since it is my favorite commercial beer. All the recipes I have found end up at about 45 IBU's but Lil Sumpin is 65 IBU's according to the bottle label.

Maybe I'm just too picky.

I may try your recipe and begin looking for 'similar to Lil Sumpin' instead of an exact clone.

You're going to need at least a pound of 2-row to convert that torrified wheat, it needs to be mashed.

Everything else looks for for a wheaty pale ale. You might want to use a couple ounces of dry hops as well

@raysmithtx - yeah I just realized I used MO LME instead of Light LME, so the malt flavor will probably be off. My IBUs are 46 too... 65 would be more of an IPA, even though they call it a Pale Ale... Hmm.

@saltymirv - The Marris Otter wouldn't be enough? I thought MO and 2-row were interchangeable, just different taste. Dry hop - good idea. I'll add 2oz!

I use Maillard Malts MO from NB - http://www.northernbrewer.com/maill...r5Zja482P5Y0gOBTXrQFOw7frx0b322KokBoCIebw_wcB
How would I know if it has diastatic power?
My Wheat LME is also Maillard and Is 65:35 barley, would that have enough diastatic power or should I buy some Diastatic malt powder (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/diastatic-malt-powder-4-oz-jar?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&utm_keyword=Diastatic+Malt+Powder+-+4+oz+Jar&gclid=CjwKEAiAr4vBBRCG36e415-_l1wSJAAatjJZtMXAhf5lTukapQhNwr8_0HslK8lV1SC6BGAYpmCe6xoC4uvw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^146432037829-device^c-plaid^70559716262-sku^11826-adType^PLA)?

Back