Parrot lovers/experts - I need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytsejam

Reaction score
I was 10 years old in 1987 when my parents bought me a wild quaker parrot. He hated everyone in the world but me and soon became my best friend.

I buried him a week ago.

I am having terrible trouble with the quiet now without the squawking.

But anyway, I've been thinking that sometime down the road, maybe next summer at earliest, I may like to get another parrot. I just think maybe it would be the right thing to do to honor my best friend. Get a younger, tame bird to teach how to be nice to other humans and to treat and feed right knowing that I probably made some mistakes along the years.

Should I consider getting another parrot in the future?
I am concerned about personality traits. Can owners of certain breeds give some examples they see?
Can any parrot owners pass along any good stories of their birds doing funny or smart stuff? (I think hearing some stories would really help)

I'm very sorry for your loss. I've lost a couple birds in my lifetime and it's never easy.

That said, if you want a bird who will do all kinds of funny stuff, with lots of personality, and who will get along well with more than one person, check out the Princess Parrot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Parrot

They're similar in size to a Quaker. Check out these and related videos on youtube:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend either an African Grey or a Caique. They are both on the smaller side of parrots and both relatively smart. The African Grey is actually the smartest parrot but they can be pretty tempermental.

I used to work in a pet store selling parrots, have owned a large cockatoo, blue and gold mccaw, and several cockatiels.

The different types of parrots some personality traits--Getting a hand raised baby from a small breeder is probably more important than the type of bird.

Cockatoo's love to be pet and handled, and scream very loudly intermittently during the day. (you can hear them outside the house and down the block--pretty much fire engine loud)

McCaw's like to be pet/scratched but often just want to be in the same room with you chewing on something. The mutter/talk and make noise a lot, but are only occasionally really loud. The smaller McCaw's tend to be less noisy. Greenwing McCaw has a reputation for being a better family pet than a blue&Gold.

Amazon's want to sit on you or next to you, but don't really want to be touched
African Grey parrots are similar, even when hand raised. The african gray talks and imitates noise the most.

Parrolets and cockatiels (if hand raised) make really nice social pets that want to be with you all the time, mutter and talk a lot, and take up much less space than the larger birds.

I don't really like to quaker parrots or the conures--they are often make more noise than the larger birds, and even when hand raised are not very friendly (in general, I'm sure there are exceptional birds)

I had a problem with a Blue and Gold many years ago--after having it for 3 years, it bonded very strongly to me, and tried to bite/attack my wife if she sat too close or tried to kiss me. Unfortunately we had to sell it, it was fine with other women it met, just didn't like my wife. Cockatiels do this also--my daughters cockatiel didn't like me, and would start squawking if I came too close to her. But never bit anyone.

I have always thought it would be cool to have a African Grey. They are amazing birds, but i have two cats right now so probably not the best idea.

A lady I know had a parrot for years before she met her current husband. Last I know it still didn't like him! I'd never have one of those things for a friend, but a lot of them I hear can be very attached to their owner, and despise everyone else.

I had an African Grey and a Cockateil. The Grey didn't like people and they take a lot of time and patience but he was a good pet. He died a few years ago and I am birdless now.

lifespan might impact your decision - do you want to take care of an african gray when you're 90? or a Macaw when you're 130?

Macaws 50 - 100 +
Cockatoos 40 - 60 +
Amazons 50 - 70 +
African Grays 50 - 60 +
Eclectus 65 - 85
Conure 12 - 30
Lories and Lorikeets 13 - 25
Caique 30
Senegal 50 years
Cockatiel 12 to 20
Parakeets 7 to 18 years

from Parrot Life Spans

lifespan might impact your decision - do you want to take care of an african gray when you're 90? or a Macaw when you're 130?

Macaws 50 - 100 +
Cockatoos 40 - 60 +
Amazons 50 - 70 +
African Grays 50 - 60 +
Eclectus 65 - 85
Conure 12 - 30
Lories and Lorikeets 13 - 25
Caique 30
Senegal 50 years
Cockatiel 12 to 20
Parakeets 7 to 18 years

from Parrot Life Spans

Thanks.
Yes I had considered lifespans and have asked myself similar questions. I am not looking to make a quick decision just to fill a hole in my life. I plan on taking lots of time.
I don't even know if I want to or should have another parrot yet, but I would like to do some reading and research and such.
I think the eclectus is fascinating, and have always liked grays and amazons.
If I do decide to get a parrot, I will do my best to make sure I get the right bird for me, and also have the right me for the bird ready too.
Any book recommendations? I'm gonna go browse some books.

Latest posts

Back