Panic time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebob

Reaction score
Just started another batch, mash in the mash tun right now, just noticed that they sent me the wrong bung for my carboy:mad: The only bucket I have left is a 8 gallons one. Will it be ok to use it to ferment a 5 gallons batch? Thx in advance

I don't see why you couldn't use a 8 gallon bucket for a 5 gallon batch. Just slap the lid and airlock on and you're good.

At least you won't have to worry about blow-off with that much head space. In the mean time, probably wouldn't hurt to order a couple of extra bungs.

A carboy can also be sealed for fermentation with aluminum foil and a not to tight rubber band around it.
Airlocks give more confidence, but if there is no bung to fit it into all is not lost.

+1 to both answers, either will work fine. I use my daughters hair elastics with foil when I need a quick cap, works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back