Panic (Partial) mashing prob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StretchBrew

Reaction score
Another panic thread ... Im trying my 1st PM right now ... i bumped up my heat as my mash was starting to decrease temp and went to start my sparge water and when i turned around my mash was ~170-175!! I know its never good to let it get that high and theres sooooo going to be tannins in it. I immedately threw the pot in an ice bath to bring it back down but i fear the damage is done. I'm going to proceed with brew day as usual from here ... but i'm a bit bummed. i shoulda just stuck to extract!!! :mad:

Another panic thread ... Im trying my 1st PM right now ... i bumped up my heat as my mash was starting to decrease temp and went to start my sparge water and when i turned around my mash was ~170-175!! I know its never good to let it get that high and theres sooooo going to be tannins in it. I immedately threw the pot in an ice bath to bring it back down but i fear the damage is done. I'm going to proceed with brew day as usual from here ... but i'm a bit bummed. i shoulda just stuck to extract!!! :mad:

It happened to me more than once.... And beer ended up great anyway. I would not worry too much, the grain bill is still small when doing PM. It is really hard to screw it up.

i didn't really look ... panic set it. probably they've been mashing for 35-45 min

Chances are likely you won't be able to taste the tannins. The worst you could have done was denature all of your enzymes but really, unless you let it get above 170 for more than 30min that wouldn't be a concern. Also I would say that this is a great learning experience for next time. Every first time goes differently than you expect. The next time you do this, I bet that you will rock it.

Back