Panel - Wiring Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever1000

Reaction score
I have done quite a bit of wiring before and I am comfortable with diagrams, but I thought if there is someone with experience, it would be nice to confirm!

Yes, it's a storage container. It's temporary because I can't find an inexpensive enclosure in Canada. I am going down to Oregon this September and will stop at HD there

I used this wiring diagram, Single Element BIAB 30A PID from P-J (image doesn't work from his website)
with the exception of the 110V outlet for the pump is swapped for a AC-DC converter. I have no lights on my switches. The E-Stop's resistors are wrapped in electrical tape so cannot be seen.

10 gauge and 14-16gauge wire used where needed. 240V 4 wire in from stove/range outlet in kitchen to Spa Panel then to enclosure. Element is 5500W

Top left is the element plug, and bottom left is the feed from the spa panel.
The yellow wire going across the enclosure was connected after the photo was taken to L2. Ground is top left terminal block, L2 is right, and Neutral and L1 share the long one on the bottom. Black/brown is L1, Red is L2, green is ground and white is N. The fan is not connected yet and the fuses use brown and yellow to make it confusing. I traced each wire, end to end and confirmed on the diagram. Anyone have any comments? I apologize some of the pictures are upside down.

20160816_192317.jpg

The switches are: Left: contactor, middle: PID, right: AC-DC converter (pump) and bottom is E-Stop:
20160816_192306.jpg

20160816_192302.jpg

20160816_192250.jpg

20160816_192233.jpg

Take a look at your contactor wiring. You need the hot and neutral for the coil to be on opposite sides of the contactor.

I'm not sure but hopefully your heat sink won't get too hot and melt the plastic. How are you planning on attaching all of the components?

Thanks for catching the contactor mistake, I will correct that tonight.

I will have a cooling fan on the heatsink, and if it does get hot I will insulate it from the plastic. But like I mentioned, this enclosure is temporary and will be replaced with a proper enclosure in a few months.

I will attach all components with small hardware (nuts and bolts/screws)

Take a look at your contactor wiring. You need the hot and neutral for the coil to be on opposite sides of the contactor.

Does it matter which side the hot and neutral are on? Or as long as they are on opposite sides it doesn't matter?

Does it matter which side the hot and neutral are on? Or as long as they are on opposite sides it doesn't matter?

Looking at the other enclosures it seems like it doesn't matter, just need to be on opposite sides

Back