Panel Mount Thermometer / temp display

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgerton13

Reaction score
Can someone direct me to a panel mount temp display? Im designing a 2 vessel, 1 element, electric system(mash tun and BK / HLT), so i only need one PID controller, but want to have another thermometer for monitoring mash temp. im using the PT-100s for temp probes

I had seen those, they have more functionality than I am looking for for now, really just need a digital display.

I've been looking for something too. Only thing I could find (worth while) are the Auber units listed above. Yes, more functionality than what you need/require but it's there for future use if need be. My problem is the limited space I have to work with.

I had seen those, they have more functionality than I am looking for for now, really just need a digital display.

pretty much all they are with the added bonus of an alarm if you want it. You could not wire that up and simply use it as a read out. Im using them to replace the inkbirds I bough since they have a hard wired alarm which you can't turn off above 200F

I found a cheaper temperature display only a couple years ago on ebay but it was double the size of the PIDs and ate up a lot of space in my small panel. It is surprisingly difficult to find something basic, would it be an option to just source the cheapest PID from China?

I found a cheaper temperature display only a couple years ago on ebay but it was double the size of the PIDs and ate up a lot of space in my small panel. It is surprisingly difficult to find something basic, would it be an option to just source the cheapest PID from China?

I use a Sestos Pid from china as a straight temperature read-out. They cost more than the basic stuff, but you can calibrate it, and it works. And if you'd ever need a second pid, or a backup, you already got one.

I use a Sestos Pid from china as a straight temperature read-out. They cost more than the basic stuff, but you can calibrate it, and it works. And if you'd ever need a second pid, or a backup, you already got one.

Yeah, with a little more in depth digging today, i found some online, but they were still 15-20 bucks. Could even get an inkbird temp controller for fermentation heating / cooling and it would still be cheaper than a simple display lol. Since i will eventually add another element and make a 3 vessel system, i think just ordering another cheap $20 pid controller is probably the easiest, and most productive option.

Yeah, with a little more in depth digging today, i found some online, but they were still 15-20 bucks. Could even get an inkbird temp controller for fermentation heating / cooling and it would still be cheaper than a simple display lol. Since i will eventually add another element and make a 3 vessel system, i think just ordering another cheap $20 pid controller is probably the easiest, and most productive option.

But, the order the PID you'd want for that system, not a cheapo one which works with reading out temperatures, but not what you'd want in the 3V-system.

but want to have another thermometer for monitoring mash temp. im using the PT-100s for temp probes

Where are you monitoring the mash temp? In the return to the MT?

I run a two vessel counterflow HERMs with a single PID, the Auber EZBoil DSPR310. I use the wort return to the MLT as the control point during the mash, but because the EZBoil is also used to control the boil, I needed an effective way to switch over to reading the BK when the time came. I bought one of these....

AC 250V/2A 125V/6A ON/ON 4PDT 12 Terminals Toggle Switch 2Pcs Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018RSYZHU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I went with a 12 terminal instead of a 9 terminal because I wanted lights to indicate which PT100 I was reading from, the MLT or the BK.

This could work for you because whenever you want to know the temp of the wort, you could just toggle the switch over to the MT to sneak a peek, then flip it back over to the HLT/BK. I do exactly this, but in the opposite direction.

You may want to consider where you measure your control point. I've found that with a low water volume in the HLT and a bunch of surface area in the external heat exchangers, it makes sense to measure the wort return instead of the HLT. But if you're using traditional coils in the HLT, which typically require a large volume of water to cover, and consequently results in a large thermal mass in the HLT that can cause overshoot in the MT, you're better off measuring the HLT.

If you are going the traditional coil in the HLT route, how do you feel about having those coils in the boil? I've never seen it done, but have thought about it on occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I needed an effective way to switch over to reading the BK when the time came. I bought one of these....

AC 250V/2A 125V/6A ON/ON 4PDT 12 Terminals Toggle Switch 2Pcs Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018RSYZHU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is awesome!

I’m looking for a similar solution, except rather than have the toggle switch strictly for the temp probe selection, I’d like to trigger the temp probe selection at the selector switch I use to toggle between the SSR/EZBoil circuit used for the mash and the SSVR/potentiometer circuit used for the boil...

Does anyone else do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Voltmeter-Lights-22-MM-AC-60V-450V-Digital-Display-Voltmeter-Lights-Combo-Indicator.jpg_640x640.jpg

This is awesome!

I’m looking for a similar solution, except rather than have the toggle switch strictly for the temp probe selection, I’d like to trigger the temp probe selection at the selector switch I use to toggle between the SSR/EZBoil circuit used for the mash and the SSVR/potentiometer circuit used for the boil...

Does anyone else do this?

Thought about this some more...

Couldn’t this easily be done by adding more switch blocks to the same selector switch?

You could, but the depth it consumes could be an issue for some. It may be 3"-3.5" long by the time you add the additional blocks.

I just added the temp controller from Auber. Even though I'm not using it to actually control the temp-only monitoring it.

You could, but the depth it consumes could be an issue for some. It may be 3"-3.5" long by the time you add the additional blocks.

I thought about this after my post... It would come out to 6 additional blocks to be able to switch back and fourth between both 3 wire RTD’s!

Or would it? Can I only add two blocks? One for each of the primary wires on each temp probe?

Back