panel for 5 ripple elements 24,750W of power...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clearwaterbrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
50A 3-phase feeding 3 5500W elements in a Delta configuration, and phase C, the 208V-to-neutral high-leg of the three phase, has a 30A circuit to each of the other two elements, 4125W each... total of almost 25KW of power...

The panel has no other electronics in it, the local inspector will not approve without calling in UL ($1500-$2000) to do an on-site approval if it is complicated like my homebrew panel with SSR's and such... I think I cannot get much simpler than this... I may put a contactor in with a start-stop circuit... will video the first power on....

OK, so it won't be entirely for beer... well, I will be boiling beer in it... we are opening a craft distillery.... the 'boiler' is a stilldragon 380L, basically 3BBL, and has 5 2" element ports... I do want to boil a batch of wort in it for my homebrew club though!

panel.jpg

still.jpg

ok now we are cooking. Love to have that baby on hand for when I loose a couple bbl's of beer to an infection or it's just is not right.
keep us posted

Not too surprised he wouldn't pass it, although not necessarily because of any fault in your construction.

Inspectors generally raise an eyebrow to any panel that isn't agency certified.

Did he see it as-pictured, or were the elements installed in the pot when he did the inspection?

Fred -
Yep... CD and Dash1...

processhead -
Inspector has not seen it yet, final electric should be next week or week after, the panel is UL listed, and the components are all listed.. no, the assembly is not, but then again, neither is a junction box in your wall with a light switch in it... The elements are L6-20, that would be like saying you have to have you your toaster plugged in for the inspector to pass your kitchen remodel that has new outlets added...

Previous experience by other breweries in the area says the inspectors will not pass a complicated box without a assembly UL approval(which I mentioned above), but if they can understand and it is simple, they have no issue... in this case, circuit breakers and outlets, I have actually added a contactor and start-stop buttons since the picture was taken....

Back