Pale or Amber Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinthehull

Reaction score
I'm starting to plan my third batch of homebrew and I want to make my own recipe. I think I
I want to use 16oz Caramel 80 and 8oz Caramel 120 for my specialty grains. I understand that just about any type of beer can be made from pale extract and adding specialty grains, but how do results change between amber and pale extract use? If I use amber extract, should I lessen the amount of specialy grains?

I think it is better to use pale extract and get you color/flavor from the specialty grains. The amber extract does have some othe grains in there, so by using just pale extract you have more control over the recipe.

I don't know what you are trying to make but that is a lot of caramel grains.

Thanks, I'll use pale malt then. I'm planning a hoppy red ale, do you think that is too much caramel? Most recipies call for less, but it seems like red ales use more than other types.

Plug your recipe into Hopville.com and see what your predicted SRM value is. For liquid extract, I generally add 2 SRM to the prediction. Dry extract is pretty true to color.

For a red ale, you want your actual SRM between 9 and 18, but I recommend 11-15 as the "sweet spot." 13-14, IMHO, is about perfect for a red ale.

Back