Pale malt substitute in APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NunoAraujo

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm planning on brewing an APA on friday. I'm going to the HBS tomorrow but they've ran out of pale malt. I was thinking of substituting it with a 50/50 mix of pilsner and amber malts, do you think this would work? Here's the grain %'s:

33% Pilsner;
33% Amber;
23% Wheat;
11% Crystal 60L

I'm just using the wheat because I have some left over.

I don't know about the wheat, but I would probably lean more toward the pilsner....maybe 50%? If you use pilsner malt you really should do a 90 minute boil.

amber malt should not be used in very high quantities - dep on the malster even a few ounces can be very noticeable in a beer

i'd use either pilsner or if available an english pale malt like Marris Otter/golden promise (scottish)/pearl etc

I don't know about the wheat, but I would probably lean more toward the pilsner....maybe 50%? If you use pilsner malt you really should do a 90 minute boil.

Why the 90 minute boil?

amber malt should not be used in very high quantities - dep on the malster even a few ounces can be very noticeable in a beer

i'd use either pilsner or if available an english pale malt like Marris Otter/golden promise (scottish)/pearl etc

My HBS listed Amber malt as a base malt, so I thought it could be used in generous quantities. I think I'll go heavier on the pilsner then.

My HBS also has Munich and Vienna, do you think any of these would go better than the amber?

Thanks!

i'd go with vienna or Pils or a combo of the 2

pils malt is less modified and requires a longer boil to remove DMS

Pilsner malt is an ideal base for an APA if you can't get US two-row. Say, 80% pilsner malt, 10% Vienna malt, 10% crystal malt. That's about all you need for a great APA. If you want to use wheat, 80% pilsner malt, 10% Vienna, and 5% each of crystal and wheat would give a nice base for many pale ales.

Another good choice is British two-row, like maris otter or golden promise. But pilsner will work just fine!

Thanks, great info!

Pilsner malt is an ideal base for an APA if you can't get US two-row. Say, 80% pilsner malt, 10% Vienna malt, 10% crystal malt. That's about all you need for a great APA. If you want to use wheat, 80% pilsner malt, 10% Vienna, and 5% each of crystal and wheat would give a nice base for many pale ales.

Another good choice is British two-row, like maris otter or golden promise. But pilsner will work just fine!

Thanks Yooper, looks great! I'll be brewing that instead.

And thanks everyone else for your tips, this will be my second AG batch and any help is welcomed.

Back