Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frostymug

Reaction score
Looking for an all grain budget friendly pale ale a little on the hoppy side maybe little fruity. Any suggestions ?

5 gallon batch

Looking for an all grain budget friendly pale ale a little on the hoppy side maybe little fruity. Any suggestions ?

5 gallon batch

Rather than a recipe, how about reducing the cost of the grains and hops needed to make a less expensive Pale ale. First is the amount of grains needed. How is your brewhouse efficiency? Below 80%? Improve that so you use less grain.

If you are going to do only one, it is tough to cut the cost of the grain much but where I live I can get base malt made by Briess or Rahr. Rahr malt is much cheaper in bags than Briess. Other areas of the country will have differences in the prices too, such as our western US residents and their Great Western malts.

For hopping I would choose a neutral flavor, high alpha hop for bittering and dry hop for the aroma, probably in lower quantities than most here would, knowing that the aroma fades away in about 3 months with that. The high alpha means that you don't need a large amount for the bittering. My choice for aroma is a combination of Citra and Cascade and I don't use a lot because they are quite pungent. They make a citrus aroma that to me seems like grapefruit. Changing that up and replacing Cascade with Amarillo seems more like orange.

Assumes 70% eff
9# 2row
12oz wheat
12oz c20
8oz carapils
.5 magnum @60
1oz centennial @20
1oz centennial @5
US-05 yeast

My latest Pale Ale, which turned out extremely good:

95% Crisp Maris Otter
5% Crisp Crystal 60L
7.5 oz Amarillo for boil, late additions and a big-a.. whirlpool! ( if you want the exact hop schedule I used, you can let me know, as it is a bit long )
NO dry hopping
1 x Danstar Nottingham for the yeast ( fast, reliable, dry and flocculent )
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.008
ABV: 5.5%
SRM: 7.5
IBU: 33

This turned out well

84% 2 Row
8% carapils
8% flaked corn

cluster@60 23 ibu's
cascade @ 15 10 ibu's
cascade @ 5 4 ibu's

dry hop cascade 5 days

US-05

Mine turned out good, and it's not just me, it's everyone that's tried it. Clean up front, clean on the back end, good in the middle. A very pleasing pale ale,
10 lbs 2 row
1/2 Honey malt

.5 oz apollo @60
1 oz Crystal hops @ 5
1 oz Crystal hops @ 0
.5 oz Apollo @ 0
5 day DH with 1 oz Crystal, but you can substitute a fruity hop here if you wish
I would prefer conan yeast, low and slow (or Omega DIPA, I think it's the same) or s-05 if going cheaper -- Go LOW in temperature, try to hit the bottom temp on the yeast.

Back