Pale ale water review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd take out the calcium chloride completely, or at least reduce it a lot. I'd take out the epsom salts.

I'm not a huge fan of that much sulfate in my pale ales, even though others love it. If you're not sure, I'd start lower. Maybe start with 135-150 ppm of sulfate and see what you think?

So taking out the Epsom salt and calc chloride gives me 60 calcium, 0 for magnesium, sodium and chloride? I know RO isn't all zeros but close to zero correct? Is it a concern with those at zero? Sulfate is around 147.

I also plan on adding my mash additions to the mash obviously, but not treating the sparge water, and just adding the other addition sto the boil kettle?

For me 0 chloride would be a concern as chloride contributes to body/mouthefeel/fullness and sweetness in the finished product. You can brew without any and then taste the beer with small additions of calcium chloride or sodium chloride to see if they, in your opinion, really add anything or not. I would not consider lack of sodium or magnesium a concern in general. If you are doing a beer part of whose flavor profile includes saltiness and the sour bitterness of magnesium, well then, that's a different story.

Back