pale ale recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langdonk1

Reaction score
This is my first pale ale recipe i created. I would appreciate feedback.

Grain,
5 lbs bohemian pilsner malt
4 lbs marris otter
1 lb dark munich
4 oz carapils dextrin

OG 1.054
39.6 IBUs

Hops
.50 oz centennial FWH 60 min
.50 oz chinook 10 mins
.50 oz cascade 5 mins
.50 oz centennial 15 min hop stand
.50 oz chinook 15 min hop stand
.50 oz cascade 15 minute hop stand

Yeast
WLP001 california ale

Dry hop
1 oz whole leaf cascade

Misc.
Gypsum
Ph 5.2 stabilizer
Irish moss

Mash
153 60 min

Pitch at 65F

Ferment 2 weeks in primary dry hop ffor 3 days cold crash for 2. Bottle condition 2 weeks.

I would say this looks pretty good, love that you're doing a hop stand... should be really tasty. The only critique I have is maybe do a 90 minute boil since you're using pilsner malt, mash a little lower if you like a drier beer (maybe 151) and use a light munich malt instead of dark.

Let us know how it goes if you end up brewing it!

What would be the cause for a 90 minute boil with pilsner malt? And all I have is dark munich. It's 15.5L. Should I decrease the amount? I don't like overly malty pale ales

Pilsner malt contains a lot of SMM which converts to DMS, so the idea is to boil as much of the DMS off as you can, hence the longer boil. Mostly precautionary, but I'd hate to have "cooked corn" off flavors from DMS ruin an otherwise great beer. As for the dark munich, if that's all you have I wouldn't worry about it, it'll still be a great brew. It'll probably just be a little darker and maybe slightly sweeter than a typical pale.

Typically when you use pilsner malt, you boil for 90 minutes to eliminate DMS, an off flavor. I think otherwise the recipe looks pretty darn good. I'd say go ahead and use the dark munich. Pale Ale's don't have to be extremely light in color, take Stone Pale Ale as an example.

Looks like that would be great as-is, but I do have a couple suggestions:

IMO, the delicate nature of the pilsner malt is going to get lost amongst all that MO and dark Munich and Chinook hops. If you haven't already bought, I'd say might as well use 2-row instead; a bit cheaper and less worry about DMS in a 60-min boil.

Like you suggested, I'd also cut the dark Munich to 0.5#, and still call it pretty malty for a pale. In my experience Munich (especially dark!) takes awhile to mellow out, and this looks like it really wants to be enjoyed young.

I think .50lb dark munich will be better. I do like to enjoy my pale ales and ipas young.

I really like the hop schedule on this one. I'm not so sure on the grain bill though. The pilsner/ MO/ dark Munich might just cancel each other out. Youll have to brew it and give results!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks very good. I have used pilsner malt and boiled 60 minutes w/o DMS. I like your grain bill, a bit of bready from the maris otter and some toasty color from the dark munich. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back