pale ale malts from different countries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixelhussar

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

What if I brew an English ale with German pale ale malts? No, I'm not talking about the brewing diplomacy...

I have only German malts avaliable in the local hombrew store. I substitued Belgian and English malts recommended by the recipes with Weyerman (German) malts. Does it have any effect on taste?

Has any of you experimented with malts this way? If it makes a lot of difference I'll concider to order malts from 1000 miles away.

Thanks.

For most recipes you will have no problem substituting German pale malt in place of UK pale malt.

The differences become apparent when specific varieties like UK Golden Promise malt and Maris Otter malt are called for.
Similarly German Vienna & Munich malts are quite different than pale ale malt.

That's been my basic argument since I came here. Combining malts from different countries,even extract malts,can give slightly different flavor & color complexities. I think that's part of the fun with ales. Who knows what the next big thing will be & who brews it?

Back