Pale Ale is black

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pic and copy of the kit instructions:
No, it did not start out black, and actually it's dark brown, not black. It was an amber color when I put it in the fermenter.

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_104916.jpg
    IMG_20220821_104916.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220821_105124.jpg
    IMG_20220821_105124.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
It tastes OK. I did use a 0.5 Micron diffusion stone and a tank of O2 to oxygenate the wort after I put it in the fermenter. Would that do it?

I don't think so, unless maybe if you way over did it, minute or two pre fermentation oxygen is enough. Pre fermentation O2 to help yeast get going is good. Oxygen after fermentation has been well under way or finished is not good.

What is your fermentor made of, and was it clean?

Fermenter is 25 gal double wall stainless steel vessel with valve at bottom and large Viton rubber gasket at top cap. When the vessel is in storage I have it filled to top with clean water and sealed. Interior and cap were cleaned and sanitized prior to adding the wort.

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_115902.jpg
    IMG_20220821_115902.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I guess I overreacted a bit because of the color. Like I said it tastes OK, but of course it's not finished yet. I'm still going to finish the project and I'll post the results here. I do have a vacuum pump. Maybe next time I'll evacuate the chamber if it's necessary.

The air we breathe is 19.5% - 23.5% O2 enriched, so I don't think that the volume of air in the fermenter will be a problem, but we'll see.

ANYTHING organic will be affected one way or another by O2 in the atmosphere. Whether or not it is ADVERSELY affected is the question. It's going to be a while before the wort is removed from the fermenter and another long while until the first bottle is opened. I have high hopes and I think all will be OK.

Oh... woops. Wrong kit instructions. Actually made with a 5 gal pale ale kit.
Ok, so what were the ingredients in the 5 gallon kit? @NeoBrew might be on to something if the ingredients weren’t even correct to begin with. I’d still lean towards oxidation. That’s a huge amount of headspace for 5 gallons of beer.
It's going to be a while before the wort is removed from the fermenter and another long while until the first bottle is opened.
If it’s already been 5 weeks, why wait any longer?

Yes, I did write that, but not sure why. I put it in the fermenter 8/10/2022, so I don't know why I said 5 weeks. Sorry for the error.

i so want to post a clip of the twilight zone intro now!

edit: hell...

just trying to keep this creative and fun for all! :mug:

Last edited:
Suspended yeast will make a beer appear darker than it actually is until fermentation is totally complete and as much of the yeast as possible has flocculated and the beer has cleared.

Maybe I should say “can make” instead of “will make”… depending on recipe. It definitely prohibits light from passing through.

on that note, you know more about brewing then me...if it's a fruit bomb, would that leave it MORE susceptible to oxidation? i've had this same sorta thing happen to me with fruit bombs...

edit: which would bring up the question what temp was it fermented at?

on that note, you know more about brewing then me...if it's a fruit bomb, would that leave it MORE susceptible to oxidation? i've had this same sorta thing happen to me with fruit bombs...

edit: which would bring up the question what temp was it fermented at?
Fruit bomb? Do you mean esters or actual fruit. If esters, I’d say no because high dissolved oxygen levels in the wort tend to inhibit ester formation, whereas high sugar concentrations increase ester levels. Higher alcohol beers tend to be marked by high ester levels, too. If fruit, yes, depending on how and when the fruit is added. Dumped in and splashed when fermentation is complete or splashing into a secondary would definitely increase the risk.

I skimmed through this thread, being it's so long, and back and forth with corrections, but I do want to come back to the original situation... fermenting 5 gallons in a 25 gallon fermenter, or did that info change?

Back