Pale Ale Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some critique (good or bad) on this recipe. Looking to do an easy pale ale and trying out some new hops (new for me as I don't have a lot of experience with them). I'm really trying to play with the Huell Melon to pull out the strawberry/fruity characteristics that it is said to have. Any feedback is welcome. What would you expect out of this recipe?

SPECIFICATIONS:
OG 1.055
FG 1.012
IBU's 36
SRM 7.3
ABV 5.75%

7.5 gallons pre boil
6.0 gallons post boil

GRAIN BILL:
85% Maris Otter (10.11 lbs)
5% Vienna (.61 lbs)
3% CaraPils (.40 lbs)
4% Crystal 10L (.50 lbs)
3% Crystal 40L (.39 lbs)

60 minute mash @153*F

HOPS:
**60 Min. = .625oz Nugget
**.25oz Motueka/.25oz Huell Melon @ 10 min
**.25oz Motueka/.50oz Huell Melon @ 5 min
**.25oz Motueka/.75oz Huell Melon @ Flame Out
**Chill to 68*F

**Dry Hop @ day 10 in primary:
1.50oz Huell Melon
.50oz Motueka

Day 15-16 - Jump from primary carboy to serving keg.

FERMENTATION
Yeast - WLP001 - California Ale Yeast

If you're looking to see what the hops can do I personally would ditch the crystal addition to the grain bill. Make it nice and clean so the hops come out with no malt to get in the way. Other than that your recipe looks solid.

If you're looking to see what the hops can do I personally would ditch the crystal addition to the grain bill. Make it nice and clean so the hops come out with no malt to get in the way. Other than that your recipe looks solid.
Totally agree

Me too. A little C40 is ok but it should be fine without it too. Don’t dry hop with Huell Melon. It’s a great tasting hop but it has very little aroma. I would dry hop with just the Moteueka or add a different hop if you want to. I have heard Centennial and Moteueka together smell like fruit loops. I tried it and I didn’t get fruit loops, but it was nice

Last edited:
Excellent decision/recommendation to pull out the Crystal.

I use carapills, it may not help, but it will not hurt (in the same % range as the OP recipe or less, like .5 lbs to 13 lbs... Maybe add some flaked wheat, like 3-5%

Cashmere would be a great hop to pair with huell melon in my opinion.
Cashmere characteristics: Smooth bitterness, herbal aroma, flavors of lemon, lime and melon

Me too. A little C40 is ok but it should be fine without it too. Don’t dry hop with Huell Melon. It’s a great tasting hop but it has very little aroma. I would dry hop with just the Moteueka or add a different hop if you want to. I have heard Centennial and Moteueka together smell like fruit loops. I tried it and I didn’t get fruit loops, but it was nice

Thanks for the feedback @parrothead64 , I will definitely consider it. I have been wanting to play with huell melon because of how I've heard it described so that was really my goal with this one. I may change the dry hop, we'll see. Perhaps if I added an extra 1oz of huell to the dry hop to make it 2.5oz huell/.50oz motueka?

Excellent decision/recommendation to pull out the Crystal.

I use carapills, it may not help, but it will not hurt (in the same % range as the OP recipe or less, like .5 lbs to 13 lbs... Maybe add some flaked wheat, like 3-5%

Cashmere would be a great hop to pair with huell melon in my opinion.
Cashmere characteristics: Smooth bitterness, herbal aroma, flavors of lemon, lime and melon

Thank you also for the recommendation. I will investigate the cashmere hop to possibly pair with the huell.

This is counter to popular opinion these days but I would keep the Crystal 10. My house pale ale and IPA recipes are 85% base malt, 10% Vienna and 5% Crystal 10. Crystal 40 is too much for me and I don’t use Carapils.

Back