Paints strainer bags or something better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
Simple question, but what bags are you guys using? I've been going with 5 gal paint strainer bags but I'm not getting a whole lot of uses out of each one.

Double them up for strength, but yeah, they're cheap. PM WilserBrewer here and have him make you one to your exact specifications. You won't regret it.

Never thought about doubling them up - doh! Yeah I may have to take Wilserbrewer up on one of his offers. I take it they last a little while?

My mother made me some custom bags out of voile material...she is great. :) It gave her something to do since she is retired.

Bernie3761 said:
+1 for WilserBrewer. Great bag

And I +1 your +1

I have two bags from him. Excellent build and great to use. Haven't had an issue with them over the course of the 3 months I've been brewing and 10batches I've done.

I plan on ordering from wilser soon, but in the meantime, I've just been using a 100% voile curtain from walmart, secured with a bungie cord. It works pretty well.

Thanks for the praise guys, appreciated! We try hard to make nice bags that work well! If you have questions, or are trying to make a bag yourself, PM me and I will try and help you out. Sewing a bag is not difficult if you have the desire...a sewing machine helps a lot, but it has been done by hand as well. Polyester voile material seems to be the key to a fine filter, yet also durable.

Thanks again!
wilserbrewer

I use the voile curtains from Ikea. You get 2 large panels for less than $5. Fold 'em over a couple times and they easily line a 10 gal kettle.

I've been using mine for over a year and just switched to the 2nd panel due to a couple small holes and some singeing of the extra material. Although the 1st panel still works because of the folding... No grain gets through.

I'll probably end up buying one of wilserbrewer's bags when these finally give out, though. The proper sizing and draw string look appealing.

I don't BIAB too often but I use my paint strainer bags to filter my hops in every batch. I bought 4 bags almost 2 years ago - 39 batches and I still have all of them. They are well stained but I don't care about that. If I were to buy something else it would be a Wilserbrewer bag.

+1 on this ^^^

I too use the 5 gal bags as hop bags in the kettle. I use a large binder clip to clamp them to the handle on my kettle. I just can't imagine these being big enough if you are doing 5 gallon batches.

BigJack said:
Nice! I wouldn't have thought of using a curtain.

That's what I'm using. Got a bag (cylindrical) big enough for a keggle plus a hop spider bag out of a $5 clearance voile curtain from Walmart.

That's what I'm using. Got a bag (cylindrical) big enough for a keggle plus a hop spider bag out of a $5 clearance voile curtain from Walmart.

Exactly what I did as well. Made a cylinder shaped bag with a flat bottom that fit my 4 gallon boil kettle perfectly. Less of a hassle when stirring, the bag pretty much stays in place. My homemade Pie plate false bottom makes the whole thing perfect! :mug:

Back