Ozone water to sanitize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdp

Reaction score
In this months BYO someone wrote in that they use ozone (think later it says ozone water) to sanitize Homebrew equipment - from the text and a photo it seems they have a machine that creates ozone water from water fed in from hose presumably attached the house water supply.

Has anyone else tried this? I’m not a huge fan of santizing chemicals (they tend to irritate my skin etc) so something like this could be great.

Ozone can cause respiratory irritation, if you try it out just be sure to have good ventilation.
Also iirc ozone breaks down in water fairly quickly, so you might not have much time where it's viable as a sanatizer.

How about Ozone generators? Are those safe?
Hi,

Some commercial brewery and winery use this process to sanitize theirs equipments with success in USA and Canada.

Some manufacturers : O3Canada, Clear water tech, Del Ozone, McClain Ozone, Ozone Solutions, Ozonetech.

If this system are interesting to save money for commercial brewery, the payback for a homebrewer is not the same.

I went online and found a great article about ozone generators and their use. People use them a lot to remove bad smell from their cars, homes or wardrobe. They are dangerous for us, but in the same time they are dangerous for other bacteria, mold and odors.

Back