Oyster mushrooms!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In April 2012, we innoculated logs with shiitake and oyster mushroom spores. Until today, nada.

We still don't have any shiitakes, but today Bob found this:

1005131223.jpg

1005131227.jpg

I was already planning a pork marsala type of dish, but with pinot grigio instead of marsala. I think a pork/mushroom marsala served over white rice would be great!

I was thinking of browning the pork chops in butter, along with some shallots and garlic and then deglazing the skillet with pinot grigio. I have some vegetable stock to add for flavor as well, as well as some spices, but I"ve never made anything exactly like that before so I'd love some ideas!

I also did some logs in April 2012 with shiitake. My first time to try it, nothing yet. I'm thinking they need more time or it's to hot here in Texas, I keep them in the shade leaning against a building.

Nice! you could always use oyster mushrooms in meatless dishes too. Season them in a pan and they can pass as a substitute for boneless/skinless chicken thigh meat.

We still don't have any shiitakes, but today Bob found this

Are you anywhere where you get lots of deer? Deer like mushrooms. A lot of times I've found some nice shaggy manes and morels and decided to leave them for a day or two so they could grow a little bigger only to find them eaten off with fresh deer tracks all around.

Are you anywhere where you get lots of deer? Deer like mushrooms. A lot of times I've found some nice shaggy manes and morels and decided to leave them for a day or two so they could grow a little bigger only to find them eaten off with fresh deer tracks all around.

Oh, yes, we have deer. But they don't touch the mushrooms around here at all. We find morels, shaggy manes, and oyster mushrooms wild. Morels are more scare, though!

Usually the shaggy manes turn inky within a day or two anyway, so if we find them we pick them right away. We have a spot in our yard at the cottage that sprouts shaggy manes fairly repeatedly, but those aren't my favorites.

Those look delicious. How hard are they to grow? Definitely something I'd like to try in the future.

These were easy. They do grow wild up here, but can be hard to find if you don't know where to look, so we wanted to cultivate them. It was just a matter of buying the "plugs" and innoculating the logs with the spore. I have no idea how they do farther south, though!

I have oysters growing in a 5 gal. can on a mixture of inoculated sawdust and coffee grounds. Started them in the spring and have had a couple of batches so far. They didn't come up until we started getting nights down to the 50's.

Shiitake colonize their log for at least a year before producing mushrooms. I have some oak logs started for next year. WV State University offered a series of seminars on mushroom production and included starter kits for 3 varieties. Hope to see some chicken of the woods late this month. There are some great supply houses available with plenty of information and materials on the internet.

Before deglazing the pan,I'd fry up the mushrooms. Then remove them & deglaze,then add the stock & reduce.

Back