OxyMoron Black Pale Ale recipe...thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

J-Malone

Reaction score
The recipe is below. Any thoughts on the recipe, what I can expect and anything constructive is appreciated. This is my first recipe I designed 100%.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: OxyMoron Black Pale Ale
Brewer: John Malone
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.04 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 24.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
0.75 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.75 lb Caramel Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.75 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %

1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (45 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
2.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.20 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.31 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

OP
OP
J-Malone

J-Malone

Reaction score
Thanks...and I like APAs much more than IPAs, so I figured I'd try it. I determined the hopping schedule because I didnt want to that really sharp bitterness that you get from a 60 min addition. I tried to focus on the later addition hops with a lower Alpha hop (ahtanum) to create a nice flavor and very aromatic beer...
Btw, brewed it Saturday. the samples before pitching were great and I am really liking this Ahtanum (1st time I have ever used it, has a Willamette+Cascade kind of aroma).

shutupjojo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is a great idea. I like how you built the hops and malt. This should be a well balanced beer. I think I will steel it and throw in a pound of buiscuit and run it through the hop rocket with 2 oz hops. Wanting to do a dark IPA but this sounds better. A little burned out on IPA right now. Great job.

boostsr20

Reaction score
I use around 11percent roasted grains for a 90ibu beer. You 5% will be perfect for that ibu. That's going to be tasty.

mkling

Reaction score
You're got 1.5 lbs of crystal malts in there. With that level, I'd say you have a black amber or a dark brown ale more than a black pale ale. Most pale ales aren't going to have that level of sweetness. I think that the recipe looks fine; it just won't be a "black pale ale".

OP
OP
J-Malone

J-Malone

Reaction score
This is a great idea. I like how you built the hops and malt. This should be a well balanced beer. I think I will steel it and throw in a pound of buiscuit and run it through the hop rocket with 2 oz hops. Wanting to do a dark IPA but this sounds better. A little burned out on IPA right now. Great job.

Thanks...oddly enough this is the first recipe I have ever created 100%. I am hoping for the best.

OP
OP
J-Malone

J-Malone

Reaction score
You're got 1.5 lbs of crystal malts in there. With that level, I'd say you have a black amber or a dark brown ale more than a black pale ale. Most pale ales aren't going to have that level of sweetness. I think that the recipe looks fine; it just won't be a "black pale ale".

I definitely realized that it would have some residual sweetness from the crystal, but I am hoping that the 150 mash temp will help to develop those fermentable sugars and try to dry it out as much as possible. It will def be a little sweeter than a trad APA, but then again it isnt traditional. And as for the color, it is really dark in the fermentor and it is leaning toward dark brown. Definitely not stout-like, but dark none-the-less. My goal was to make a dark APA with a slightly roasty backbone and nice hop background.

We'll see in about a week or so...

khillje

Reaction score
How did this turn out? What would you have changed? Looking to do something similar this weekend.

Thanks!

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
khillje, Consider a 60 min hop addition when using chocolate and special-b in an IPA. IMO you need to balance out the roastiness. The 45 min addition is kinda useless anyway.