OxyMoron Black Pale Ale recipe...thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Malone

Reaction score
The recipe is below. Any thoughts on the recipe, what I can expect and anything constructive is appreciated. This is my first recipe I designed 100%.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: OxyMoron Black Pale Ale
Brewer: John Malone
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.04 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 24.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
0.75 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.75 lb Caramel Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.75 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %

1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (45 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
2.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.20 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.31 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

Thanks...and I like APAs much more than IPAs, so I figured I'd try it. I determined the hopping schedule because I didnt want to that really sharp bitterness that you get from a 60 min addition. I tried to focus on the later addition hops with a lower Alpha hop (ahtanum) to create a nice flavor and very aromatic beer...
Btw, brewed it Saturday. the samples before pitching were great and I am really liking this Ahtanum (1st time I have ever used it, has a Willamette+Cascade kind of aroma).

This is a great idea. I like how you built the hops and malt. This should be a well balanced beer. I think I will steel it and throw in a pound of buiscuit and run it through the hop rocket with 2 oz hops. Wanting to do a dark IPA but this sounds better. A little burned out on IPA right now. Great job.

I use around 11percent roasted grains for a 90ibu beer. You 5% will be perfect for that ibu. That's going to be tasty.

You're got 1.5 lbs of crystal malts in there. With that level, I'd say you have a black amber or a dark brown ale more than a black pale ale. Most pale ales aren't going to have that level of sweetness. I think that the recipe looks fine; it just won't be a "black pale ale".

This is a great idea. I like how you built the hops and malt. This should be a well balanced beer. I think I will steel it and throw in a pound of buiscuit and run it through the hop rocket with 2 oz hops. Wanting to do a dark IPA but this sounds better. A little burned out on IPA right now. Great job.

Thanks...oddly enough this is the first recipe I have ever created 100%. I am hoping for the best.

You're got 1.5 lbs of crystal malts in there. With that level, I'd say you have a black amber or a dark brown ale more than a black pale ale. Most pale ales aren't going to have that level of sweetness. I think that the recipe looks fine; it just won't be a "black pale ale".

I definitely realized that it would have some residual sweetness from the crystal, but I am hoping that the 150 mash temp will help to develop those fermentable sugars and try to dry it out as much as possible. It will def be a little sweeter than a trad APA, but then again it isnt traditional. And as for the color, it is really dark in the fermentor and it is leaning toward dark brown. Definitely not stout-like, but dark none-the-less. My goal was to make a dark APA with a slightly roasty backbone and nice hop background.

We'll see in about a week or so...

How did this turn out? What would you have changed? Looking to do something similar this weekend.

Thanks!

khillje, Consider a 60 min hop addition when using chocolate and special-b in an IPA. IMO you need to balance out the roastiness. The 45 min addition is kinda useless anyway.

Back