Oxygenation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dstar26t

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Reaction score
I'm looking into perhaps doing an in-line oxygenation set-up hooked to the end of the CFC. My main reason for doing this is to try and boost attenuation. I do mostly 6-8% ABV IPA's with WLP001 and routinely get 75% attenuation with my current procedure (shaking, 1.25 gal non-stir plate starters, 68F fermentation temp).
Will I see positive results?

bull8042

I like 'em shaved
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You probably won't see stellar improvements since you are already getting 75% attenuation. It may reduce your lag time a bit though. And certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

OP
D

dstar26t

Reaction score
I get very short lag times now but I suppose another benefit to oxygenation would be the reduced risk of infection from the unfiltered air that rushes in when I shake the carboy.

bull8042

I like 'em shaved
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I get very short lag times now but I suppose another benefit to oxygenation would be the reduced risk of infection from the unfiltered air that rushes in when I shake the carboy.
You may have a point there, but I can't say just how great that risk really is in practicality. I guess if you brew in a very dusty place, or if you are milling your grains at the same time.

OP
D

dstar26t

Reaction score
I always use Mr. Malty's recommendation for a starter.
Corn sugar is what I use now to regulate attenuation. I have it to a point where I can predict exactly what amount of corn sugar to add in order to reach a specific attenuation %. I'm looking for another option and thought oxygenation might be it.