Oxygenating after pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cblack85

Reaction score
Are there any issues with oxygenating after pitching? I brewed today and didn't notice until it was too late that I was out of oxygen. If I pick up some oxygen tomorrow and oxygenate within 24 hours of pitching will I get off flavors? What is my best option

Unless its a high gravity beer, can't you just shake the hell out of it? That is what I do with all my beers.

I don't know about oxygenating 24 hours later. I think it'd be fine, butd id shake it now and pitch.

I always just shake for about a minute. Just shake it and I bet you will be fine.

24 hrs. would probably be too late. O2 is to help the yeast cell walls strengthen, allowing reproduction. @ 24 hrs., the yeast may be past that stage, and adding O2 would just potentially oxidize the beer. A thorough shaking should be good enough, it's how the vast majority of homebrewers do it.

I took it out of the freezer and gave it a good shake for a couple of minutes. Hopefully tht is good enough.

I have used my oxygen stone shortly after pitching and haven't noticed any ill effects. Now 24 hours later I am not sure about.

Latest posts

Back