Oxygen good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyperion2

Reaction score
So I know oxygen is good for the yeast at the beginning and bad for the wine later, but where or should I say when does that change happen?

To give a scenario.... How about a fruit wine (like apple) where there can be significant amounts of flesh and seeds etc that must be removed. The trouble is depending on the amount of fruit used this can make transferring to secondary difficult. So would there be any role for straining in this situation or would that amount to too much oxygen and the death of the wine? Does it make a difference if fermentation is still active or already stopped? ...some recipes can call for honey at rackings leading to additional fermentation.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your input! :)

A good rule of thumb is that once the SG gets to 1.010-1.020, and fermentation is slowing down, that's when oxygen can ruin the ruin.

As long as fermentation is actively blowing off co2, oxygen won't be nearly as detrimental.

I move my fruit wines to secondary (removing the fruit) at about day 5-7, if the SG is in that range. Sometimes I miss that window, and the wine has gone dry by then- and that's been ok so far for me as well!

A good rule of thumb is that once the SG gets to 1.010-1.020, and fermentation is slowing down, that's when oxygen can ruin the ruin.

As long as fermentation is actively blowing off co2, oxygen won't be nearly as detrimental.

I move my fruit wines to secondary (removing the fruit) at about day 5-7, if the SG is in that range. Sometimes I miss that window, and the wine has gone dry by then- and that's been ok so far for me as well!

I was sort of hoping this would be the answer. Although in the future I will definitely use a straining bag just to make the transition to secondary easier.

Thanks for your expertise Yooper! :)

Back