Oxygen, flowrate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Howdy all.

Working on getting an oxygen system, and found that you can't get a flow regulator with a gauge for that size. So really there is no way of knowing how much oxygen you put in. So when I hear "30 seconds of oxygen" from people, I have no idea if that is 0.1 LPM, 1.0 LPM, if the regulator is open a hair or all the way open, etc. At hopes for consistency, I need more info.

So for those using an oxygen tank, how far open and for how long do you add the gas? Do you back it off until the bubbles just barely don't break the surface?

Thanks for any info!

So for those using an oxygen tank, how far open and for how long do you add the gas? Do you back it off until the bubbles just barely don't break the surface?

The answer to that question is .... "just cracked open, no, all the way! ... 10 seconds, no 1 min, i mean 2 minutes! ... Bubble like crazy, NO! just a little fizzzzz.

Got the picture? Like you said, you have no idea if it is 0.1 LPM or 1.0 LPM without a meter. Find a way to be a consistent as you can and judge your fermentation. If it seems sluggish, try a little longer, etc. Or somehow find a medical O2 system with a meter, then find someone to refill it without a prescription!

Eventually you just have to come to the realization that not everything in this hobby can be quantified.

Hope that helps even though I know it didn't! :)

Eventually you just have to come to the realization that not everything in this hobby can be quantified.

NO! I WON'T ACCEPT THAT!

As an engineer I feel the need to have everything to a science. Hard to turn on the "artist"side of the brain for this.

I found a rotameter that may work for about $50. Not ideal for price or device, but it may work.

You can get a rotometer (flow meter) in the appropriate range. The measure flow at a given pressure. They need to be used in conjunction with a regulator. Unfortunately they typically designed for industrial and medical purposes so they can carry a hefty price tag. They can be found used on eBay if your look often enough. I bought a few surplus ones a while back.

Post a link to that rotometer. If be curious to see if it like mine. BTW I have one available if it'll work for you.

The range is really the issue; lowest normally found is 0-5 LPM with 0.5LPM increments, and you need a 0.1 LPM flow usually. I'll do some digging.

Now, if only I could find out real info about the "you can add too much oxygen" statement/myth to see if it is something real, or just repeated from one person to another without any actual evidence.

I'll have to check when I get home. The one you posted is just 0-0.944 approximately.

I'll have to check when I get home. The one you posted is just 0-0.944 approximately.

Thanks! And yup, seems as such. First numbered mark is 0.25 approximately, which is still a bit fast, but can work (or use the non-numbered tick below it).

I just bought one of these inexpensive, $14, Ebay Flow Meters on the recommendation of someone here. I have no way of checking the accuracy but the quality is good and is at least better then "crank it all the way open for 45 seconds" like I had been doing.

All the above is well and good, but like I said, at some point you have to come to terms with it all can't be quantified (at a reasonable price). Or, you can go ahead and convince yourself that your calculated IBU numbers really mean a whole lot! :D

MichaelBrock, I saw those, and they would work but I was hoping for an even lower resolution (0-1LPM or so). May see if there is some weird work-around I can do with one to up its resolution.

All the above is well and good, but like I said, at some point you have to come to terms with it all can't be quantified (at a reasonable price). Or, you can go ahead and convince yourself that your calculated IBU numbers really mean a whole lot! :D

Very, very true. I would still like a general idea of what I am putting in. Like the IBU thing, might not be at the actual number but I want to know the ballpark.

Yeah that one seems perfect for you.

After looking mine are a bit higher range. Personally I don't go any lower than 1ppm, but if you want more accuracy in the lower range these aren't for the ones. Here are the two styles I have, one is a Dwyer the other a Matheson.

image-1735838231.jpg

Cool cool. Having the 0-1.0 SCFM (0-0.47LPM) range is pretty much what I wanted. I also have a scrap regulator (old work project) that I may throw inline to keep the pressure from pegging too high and damaging the rotameter. Make a bracket for the whole thing.

Thanks for the offer though and the assistance!

We use a lot of these at work. The one you bought is just polycarbonate and a SS ball, you can't damage that thing. :)

Back