Oxygen Caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used them and regular caps. Didn't notice anything different... But don't know how long it would take to make a difference.
I have a couple beers left from the third batch I made last July (a grand cru) with regular cheap caps. The beer still tastes fine, no oxidation. I imagine as long as you are carefull racking and bottling, there shouldn't be any worries of oxidation.

i use oxycaps all the time. no idea if they are actually worth it. sanitizing them can be a pain. the oxygen absorbing quality activates when they get wet.

I have read if you are in competition use them if not do not worry commercial brewers do not use them. If memory serves me they are for beer freshness.
sims_l22

I use them because they aren't really that much more expensive than regular caps and I don't treat them any differently. I sanitize my caps about a dozen at a time as I'm bottling. No clue if they are going any good or not, but since the price isn't bad I keep using them as a precaution.

I used them for my beers that need long storage/cellaring, but I have not done any experiments to find out if they make a difference. You should fall run an experiment and tell us if they prevent oxidation!

I used them for my beers that need long storage/cellaring, but I have not done any experiments to find out if they make a difference. You should fall run an experiment and tell us if they prevent oxidation!

I do the same for meads, ciders, wines that I'm planning on aging for awhile; but yes, it would be interesting to compare the two types of caps. Maybe this next batch of mead I'll do 1/2 and 1/2 and see what happens after a year.

I don't use them for the simple reason that I use the color of my beer cap to indicate what is in the bottle. I have about 6 different colors on hand at the moment. Pez.

I don't use them for the simple reason that I use the color of my beer cap to indicate what is in the bottle. I have about 6 different colors on hand at the moment. Pez.

Hey Pez, where are you getting different colored caps? I find the BB kind and a silvery golden plain cap. I would love a little variety.

I use them because I'm paranoid, and there's only a $1.55 difference between a 144 pack of them compared to the regular caps, figure rather safe than sorry.

As far as cap colors, I label all my beers with Avery 3/4" color labels. This lets me color code my brews so I can tell what is what by cap color, but I can also print on them and usually just include: Batch #, brew name, date brewed.

Latest posts

Back