Great Dissolved Oxygen demonstration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StayThirsty

Reaction score
In a recent video, Vinnie Cilurzo and Russian River's lab head discussed many topics regarding managing oxygen levels in brewing. At one point they did a live experiment where they used a very expensive dissolved oxygen meter to measure oxygen levels in hand-filled and capped beer bottles. Various methods of reducing oxygen were measured, including pre-purging the bottle and capping on foam.

His capping on foam technique involves swirling the bottle to create a foam-over, then quickly dropping the cap on the foam and sealing it.

There are multiple lessons to be learned but the most dramatic was that capping on foam significantly reduced oxygen levels compared to pre-purging. This makes sense because the foam-filled head-space is a physical barrier containing mostly carbon dioxide, while empty head-space contains a good dose of ambient air that will be trapped long-term in the capped bottle.

Here is a screenshot of their results:
1684950622714.png

Here's the link to the video - the experiment starts at the 1:11:11 mark:

Other topics of note:
1:01:44 Flushing hoses
59:00 Reducing oxygen ingress during dry hopping

I had seen some clips from that session with Vinnie, but I did not realize there was an hour and a half video out on the topic. I will have to watch that one!

I have personally been having very good luck bottling beers with a "need no stinking beer gun" solution. I generally do not pre-purge the bottle but I am sure to cap on foam. I played around with purging the bottles with CO2 before filling them, but I did not see any differences. I filled several clear bottles with an NEIPA. Even after several months in a warm closet, the beer was a light golden color. There was no visible or taste difference between purge or not purged and I could not detect any oxidation damage to either.

I love this pairing of posts. One lists objective measurements, and the other privies confirming subjective impressions. Splendid!

Also, it gives me great hope as I inch toward bottling a barley wine that's been aging in a keg for a few months. Especially because I ain't got no stinkin' beer gun.

Great video thanks for sharing it. Lots of good info in there, I just wish I could un-hear the comment about the “protective CO2 blanket” at 0:59:40 🤯😣😉

Last edited:
Back