Oxyclean leaving buildup on corny overnight, help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amh0001

Reaction score
Hello there,

I used Oxyclean free with a hotwater tapwater soak over night in my Corny Kegs. These 2 Kegs I also fermented in, so there was some build up. This is the 3rd time I've seen it do this where after I dump the Oxyclean there is CRUD covering the inside of the keg. It is heavier where the krausen was, but also all over.

Now, it does not look like scaling. It is almost like stuck on oxyclean that I can scrape off using my fingernails, but not using a sponge. Risning with hot water does not remove it. It looks like my only option is elbow grease, but there is a lot in there and my arm doesnt fit well. I am trying a soak of StarSan to see if the acid based cleanser will do anything for me.

I live in Socal and am using hard tap water. Has anyone else experienced this? And any suggestions? THank you!:(

IMG_20150504_190248932.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, I added a picture now too. We will see if the starsan gets it off.

I actually just heard a Brew Strong Q&A that talked about this. Palmer suggested using a product called CLR. Apparently things like Oxyclean and PBW can fix calcium to a surface if used hot with hard water. CLR link: http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbath.htm

Wow. That's the worst I've ever seen. If I leave the oxyclean overnight I might get a tinge of whitish fogging but that almost looks like it was painted...

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Its been soaking in cool starsan for about an hour now, and while it feels a bit softer, its still on there.

@mardoo Thanks, I might have to try CLR (I think i have some). Did they mention that it wont do this with cool water? or did they mention an alternative way to clean the cornys?

I have had the same issue with hard water and oxyclean. My understanding is that PBW includes ingredients to help counteract this issue.

The less expensive homemade PBW recipe below alleviates this issue for me. I think the 7th Gen. dishwashing detergent provides the chelate to "soften" the water.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=467655

The pH of an OxiClean solution will be very high (basic) and the carbonate salts (CaCO3 and MgCO3) that get deposited as scale will want to precipitate out more as the hardness, pH, and temperature all increase. So you created good conditions for scaling, but as these folks pointed out you just need an acidic substance like vinegar or lemon juice and that should take care of it.

At least I THINK it is scale.

The pH of an OxiClean solution will be very high (basic) and the carbonate salts (CaCO3 and MgCO3) that get deposited as scale will want to precipitate out more as the hardness, pH, and temperature all increase. So you created good conditions for scaling, but as these folks pointed out you just need an acidic substance like vinegar or lemon juice and that should take care of it.

At least I THINK it is scale.

That's exactly what Jamil and John were saying. They were referring to a situation where someone was getting mineral buildup on their carboy using water about 130 deg F. They did say that using cool water would reduce the effect POP explains.

Sorry, I've tried to scare up the show I mentioned but couldn't find the exact one. It's one of the Brewstrong live Q&A's and it should be one of the ones from 12-27-10, 5-17-10 or 4-5-10. Can't guarantee but I heard it during my drivetime in the last two days and those are the ones I've listened to.

That's exactly what Jamil and John were saying. They were referring to a situation where someone was getting mineral buildup on their carboy using water about 130 deg F. They did say that using cool water would reduce the effect POP explains.

Sorry, I've tried to scare up the show I mentioned but couldn't find the exact one. It's one of the Brewstrong live Q&A's and it should be one of the ones from 12-27-10, 5-17-10 or 4-5-10. Can't guarantee but I heard it during my drivetime in the last two days and those are the ones I've listened to.

I have seen scale do horrible, horrible things to heat exchangers in a variety of processes. Fortunately for us homebrewers we don't get much more than harmless deposition on our brew kettles, or in this case some on the carboy. Even if the OP neglected to remove the tough residue the vessel would probably still be usable, though I guess we should be wary of other chemicals possible suspended in the gunk.

Just an update for anyone that has this problem.

I let it soak over night in Starsan (My hard Socal water turns my starSan cloudly immediately). And it loosened the crud enough to be able to get off with a scrub brush pretty easily. It was super hard to get my arm in there, but I did manage to get it clean.

If the starsan didnt work, I was going to use CLR. I think my plan to clean the keg next time, is use reg temp tap water with Oxyclean in my Marks Keg/Carboy washer. I have found in the past the Marks washer doesn't get it all, but I'll try it again.

Cheers,
~Adam

Back