Oxidation when changing blow off cane/airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwpowell

Reaction score
When I've had my beers judged, there has been feedback there is oxidation. I always do a closed transfer so I must be introducing oxygen when swapping fittings or through my airlock when cold crashing.

I use blow off canes on my conical fermenters and when I cold crash or close transfer to a keg, I change the cane out for an s-type airlock or a pressure transfer fitting. Am I introducing enough oxygen in the few seconds swapping fittings that it would oxidize the beer? Is it the cold crashing sucking back through the airlock?

I've been thinking about putting something together that I haven't seen anyone do (closest is norcal). The goal is to be able to shut off the racking cane and switch to CO2 without removing any fitting.

I am thinking of getting a three way TC valve: https://www.brewershardware.com/1_5-Tri-Clover-3-Way-Ball-Valve-TC15BALL3W.html and a triclamp corny gas post adapter https://www.brewershardware.com/1-1-5-tri-clover-compatible-x-19-32-corny-post-thread-adapter.html.

The valve will go on top of the fermenter, the racking cane on top of that and the corny post on the side port. This way I can switch off the racking cane and use CO2 when crashing or transferring. Also, I will add a PRV to the lid so I don't screw up my fermenters.

I could also make it really simple and put in a 2 way valve before the blow off cane and just shut it off when I want to swap out a fitting.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
It’s happening during cold crashing, the suckback from temp change and then gasses absorb into liquids easier as it’s colder. That’s the area when you need the most corrective actions

Back