Oxidation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOISEpollution

Reaction score
I kegged a Belgian IPA the other day. I went to keg it and shook it up only to realize afterwards that my co2 tank was empty. Crap. So I left it in the kegerator over night until I got co2 and then force carbed it. After that it tasted fine, a day later it tastes oxidized.

Could this be possible and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Can't undo oxidation. What I have started doing is purging my keg with CO2 before racking into it. I just use tubing set at the bottom of the keg and barely crack the regulator. After a few minutes I start slowly lowering a lighter into the keg until the flame goes out. You want the flame to extinguish right at the keg opening.

Now as you rack into the keg the CO2 blanket is pushed upward the beer should not be exposed to any O2. Once filled, seal the lid and do the purge vent thing once or twice.

helibrewer said:
Can't undo oxidation. What I have started doing is purging my keg with CO2 before racking into it. I just use tubing set at the bottom of the keg and barely crack the regulator. After a few minutes I start slowly lowering a lighter into the keg until the flame goes out. You want the flame to extinguish right at the keg opening.

Now as you rack into the keg the CO2 blanket is pushed upward the beer should not be exposed to any O2. Once filled, seal the lid and do the purge vent thing once or twice.
The purge vent thing being close it, give it a blast of co2, then release? I don't have a release valve so I have to push down on the thing that connects to my gas disconnect so pumping co2 while releasing it like I've seen in some instructions isn't an option for me.

I kegged a Belgian IPA the other day. I went to keg it and shook it up only to realize afterwards that my co2 tank was empty. Crap. So I left it in the kegerator over night until I got co2 and then force carbed it. After that it tasted fine, a day later it tastes oxidized.

Could this be possible and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Next time just add some sugar boiled in water to naturally carbonate the beer in the keg. The yeast activity will carb the beer and reduce the oxidation.
It is still good practice to purge the keg with CO2

Back