Oxidation or aromatic hop components

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scogan

Reaction score
I thought that allowing the cooled wort to splash vigourously into the fermenter was a good thing providing oxygen for the yeast , but if oxygen is the enemy of hop aroma and you have used a fair amount of whirlpool hops wont they be compromised by it ?

If the addition of oxygen bothers you in light of the afore mentioned need of it for the yeast, use dry yeast which is claimed to need no additional oxygen for its propagation.
It doesn`t bother me , I suspect its not an issue .Just trying to understand the seeming contradiction .Someone has suggested the whirlpool adds flavour which isn`t so oxidation sensitive and the more sensitive aroma comes from dry hopping ??

I had some oxidized taste in some of my first beers. And at that time I was using dry yeast but still aerating the wort prior to pitching yeast.

I've since stopped aerating wort, but still pitching the same dry yeast. I don't notice any more cardboard or oxidized taste. However, all the stuff I've read says that aeration of wort, even for dry yeast won't cause oxidized tastes because the yeast go through that oxygen quickly as they do their thing.

And likely my better results are just because I've improved other processes that actually did make an impact on the little bit of oxidized taste and appearance I was getting. Most every cited article I've read says that aeration of beer with O2 is only an issue after the bulk of fermentation is about over.

I had some oxidized taste in some of my first beers. And at that time I was using dry yeast but still aerating the wort prior to pitching yeast.

I've since stopped aerating wort, but still pitching the same dry yeast. I don't notice any more cardboard or oxidized taste. However, all the stuff I've read says that aeration of wort, even for dry yeast won't cause oxidized tastes because the yeast go through that oxygen quickly as they do their thing.

And likely my better results are just because I've improved other processes that actually did make an impact on the little bit of oxidized taste and appearance I was getting. Most every cited article I've read says that aeration of beer with O2 is only an issue after the bulk of fermentation is about over.
Yes I suspect our aroma component is from the later additions in a more Co2 rich state .

Back