Oxiclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syncman

Reaction score
Does oxiclean foam when used in a pump? Just finishing up my 20 bottle CPVC washer and starting to think what to use. First oxiclean then Starsan?

I don't use a pump, but stirring feverishly using my fingers will produce suds so my gut feel is yes.

It works just fine. I always run a 70/30 mix of oxyclean and TSP-90 through my pump and plate chiller, and there's never any foam. It's not like Starsan or anything like that.

I use the same 70/30 mix as the previous poster in my homemade carboy cleaner. Last time I was out of TSP-90 and ran just straight oxyclean through the pump, foam started crawling out of the bucket. This is with only half gallon of water. Cutting it with TSP-90 keeps the foam in check.

A good mix is 70 grams oxyclean free, 30 grams of TSP-90 dissolved in 3 gallons of water.

^This is the best advice ever. It makes a very similar PBW blend. I am not sure if oxyclean foams, but I just wanted to say that the star san foams a lot, so if foaming is an issue, you may consider using saniClean because it is a lower foaming version of star san.

I have access to "straight up old school" TSP, it's not the government regulated reformulated TSP - 90. Would the same ratios apply?

I've never heard of TSP 90. A quick lookup says its a cleaner. I've always just used straight Oxiclean for my kegs. buckets etc with good results. Aside from knocking down the foam which isn't an issue for me,Is there a reason to mix this with Oxiclean. Does it turn Oxiclean into some sort of super cleaner? I also read its near impossible to get off glass. I wash/dump my stuff in a tub with glass shower doors and it always splashes up on the glass. Definitely don't want to be ruining my doors. Would this be an issue??

Back