OxiClean took the tarnish off of conical (question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not gonna rant. I should have researched this before I used it on my Blichmann conical. let it sit 2 days. I guess I had too high concentration.

Anyways is it fine to use? No metalized off flavors from letting a lager sit a month in this thing? See attached picture.

Attachments

• 20210428_221024.jpg
    20210428_221024.jpg
    675.4 KB · Views: 78
Looks like possibly mineral deposits.

I'd seriously consider a scrub/polish with barkeeper's friend, then rinse very well. Follow up by a thorough washing out with PBW and a sponge to agitate off the BKF residue. Rinse very well, then let air dry for a day or two.

Also: This is why PBW beats out oxyclean. It has additives in it to prevent this sort of thing.

Aluminum?

Oxyclean turns into a weak H2O2 solution when mixed with water. It's an oxidizer. So it will oxidize stuff.

If the dark stuff is hard on the surface, then essentially it's the same as what many pay good money for anodized cookware.

There's no "tarnish" on stainless steel. Oxiclan if you let it sit too long will leave carbonate deposits. You need an acid cleaner to remove them. I would try vinegar for a safe, cheap option.

Thanks ^ ....intersection. I let it sit in starsan overnight and it seems to look "better" now.

Attachments

• 20210429_114537.jpg
    20210429_114537.jpg
    852.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210429_114522.jpg
    20210429_114522.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
Ok.... sorry now the thread is cluttered....

I cleaned it with apple cider vinegar (all I had)

What do you think? Good to use? Gonna soak in hot starsan a few hours

Attachments

• 20210429_121452.jpg
    20210429_121452.jpg
    983.5 KB · Views: 38
Looks like possibly mineral deposits.

I'd seriously consider a scrub/polish with barkeeper's friend, then rinse very well. Follow up by a thorough washing out with PBW and a sponge to agitate off the BKF residue. Rinse very well, then let air dry for a day or two.

Also: This is why PBW beats out oxyclean. It has additives in it to prevent this sort of thing.
Seventh Generation liquid dish washing soap is a good additive when using Oxi. It acts as a surfactant to suspend precipitated cleaning chemicals, and helps prevent them forming "ring around the fermenter" deposits. When I use OxiClean I always add a little squirt of Seventh Gen, following up with hot water rinse, spray down with Star San, air dry.

Preferred cleaner is PBW, but I'll use Oxi with Seventh Gen and TSP90 for really bad-news messes as a first wash/soak.

Looks like mine does after I rinse it with well water. I spray it with star san, let it sit a few minutes and dry it off with a clean cloth. Repeat it a couple of times. Seems to help, but doesn't take it 100% off.

Latest posts

Back