Oxebar Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I emailed them about the 4L keg and it looks like they haven't received it in stock in their warehouses as yet. It was supposed to be available by December itself but it's Feb and there's probably no saying when we will get it in-stock.

I emailed them about the 4L keg and it looks like they haven't received it in stock in their warehouses as yet. It was supposed to be available by December itself but it's Feb and there's probably no saying when we will get it in-stock.
I too am waiting on them.. You can sign up to get notified when they (eventually) show up.

Can the tapping head work on a standard 2L bottle? I have the Kegland Tee with ball locks on it, but the combined height of that on a 2L makes it too tall for my fridge's door shelf.

Was "them" Kegland? I see the India tag in your profile. Do you typically order directly from Kegland? I am willing to guess you don't have a shop down the road that is fully stocked with the latest gear from Kegland, right? It seems like it often takes a few months for products to make there way to the US sellers like MoreBeer and William's.
Can the tapping head work on a standard 2L bottle? I have the Kegland Tee with ball locks on it, but the combined height of that on a 2L makes it too tall for my fridge's door shelf.
I am almost positive the answer to that is: No, the Oxebar kegs have a much bigger opening than a standard 2L soda bottle.

I'll be able to tell you in a couple of days. Picking up my 8 litre one on Monday
Kegland (and/or David Heath) makes a big issue about the size of the lid being industry standard....

I can confirm the answer is no. The head is too big. They did make a big deal of it being industry standard, It's just not the same standard as other PET "Soda" bottles. I had to buy some to find out the hard way.

@khannon is correct.
It's a different size.

The carbonation cap pumping kit does fit on a "normal" pet bottle, but that doesn't help much.
(Although I have a feeling something is possible there. Just haven't figured it out yet. Wondering if it is possible to put a co2 source on the pumping side)

Was "them" Kegland? I see the India tag in your profile. Do you typically order directly from Kegland? I am willing to guess you don't have a shop down the road that is fully stocked with the latest gear from Kegland, right? It seems like it often takes a few months for products to make there way to the US sellers like MoreBeer and William's.

I am almost positive the answer to that is: No, the Oxebar kegs have a much bigger opening than a standard 2L soda bottle.
Sorry about the delay. "Them" is indeed kegland. I had a friend coming in from Australia and hence asked kegland if it would be available in the timeframe that he was scheduled to fly out. Unfortunately, it is still not in stock. I did get the 8L keg though and it seems great.

I can confirm that the opening is much larger than a standard PET bottle and will not work with the 2L bottles. That said. the tee piece works perfectly fine. Don't have a prv but you can just slowly unscrew the top and it will be just fine.

Yeah, I'm in the process of ordering a couple more things and tempted to get the carbonation T and 2 carbonation caps
So in short: the oxebar has a bigger fitting, but they reduce size after that to "standard" pet bottle (via the tapping head)

I can confirm the answer is no. The head is too big. They did make a big deal of it being industry standard, It's just not the same standard as other PET "Soda" bottles. I had to buy some to find out the hard way.
99.99% sure it will fit on a standard 3L PET soda bottle. I don’t have one, but I have the cap from one (that I used on an old 1 gal draft set up) and it fit the oxebar kegs I have.

I've been making soda water and ever clear spiked soda, and these have been my comments so far.
1. Make sure you crank down and seal the screw caps. Check, and then check again.
2. I've washed them a few times with clear oxyclean, and still get a bit of plastic taste
3. the diptube into the silicone elbow is a pain when you screw it on. Takes a few tries
4. I can now fit 2 sixtels, 1 corney and 2 of these into my 5.5 cu keezer. I've for more beer on tap than some of the local bars.

Totally agree on number 3!
I got them on but it was a bit of a mission. Not much space for your fingers

I made cider from store bought apple juice and didn't notice a plastic taste.
Might have been masked by the stronger flavour of the juice

I had no issue tightening the screw caps.

I have a batch of beer (kölsch-like) and another apple juice (cider) on the go

Have been brewing with a friend who has a smallish kegerator but wanted more varieties on tap and bought a couple of Oxebars. Have never noticed a plastic taste, but the screw caps do need to be torqued down (I rim the lip with keg lube for a bit of insurance). The silicone elbow for the down tube is the weak link. After one slipped off we zip-tied all of the elbow connections.

Anyone try these for cleaning kegs? I'm considering ordering a pair (with one head) for that use. One I'd keep BLC in, the other would get filled for rinsing. I already always keep a keg full of sanitizer since that's how I purge kegs before transfers.

I wouldn't spend the money. I just use the kegland hand pump attachment to a pet bottle. Any pet bottle works for cleaner.
Anyone try these for cleaning kegs? I'm considering ordering a pair (with one head) for that use. One I'd keep BLC in, the other would get filled for rinsing. I already always keep a keg full of sanitizer since that's how I purge kegs before transfers.

I have been at them to oxebar 4l here in usa but no luck Morebeer has the 8l (in stock) I have to said that it is a 38mm cap If i remenber right is the size of a glass growler...Morebeer has Ball Lock Adapter Tapping Head for PCO38 Oxebar Mono PET Keg

I have 2 of these kegs and they perform as expected, purchased them from MoreBeer with the tapping heads. Each one is roughly 2.2 gallons. These make great pool kegs or beach kegs. They fit perfectly in my backpack cooler plus ice. small CO2 regulator with mini-CO2 "bullets" and a party tap and you're off to the races.

I have 4 of the 8L and have been using them for almost 1 year. They have some niche uses, but I now don't expect them to last more than 18 months or 3-4 uses. They get funky after a awhile and are hard to "really" clean out. I recommend only using them for beer you expect to consume within the week, and assume they will not last more than a few uses.

I just picked up a few of these for taking to the cottage/parties, etc. The party pump is what put me over the edge, no need for C02 to push the beer.

Got me thinking, these might be fun to do some pseudo-cask ales in!

Oxebar cap/hydra has a PVR rated for 37 psi (if I recall)

I am not sure that is really a good comparison. The plastic kegs referred to in this article were injection molded glass reinforced plastic kegs that are very brittle and they had a tendency to burst in a way that shot out dangerous solid fragments if they were over-pressurised. The kegs had not PRV fitted to them either.

Our kegs are made from PET and during the burst testing we have done they do make a very loud bang when they are burst but they do not fragment in the same way. Also all our kegs have a pressure relief that is well below the burst pressure. The burst pressure is normal between 9-11 bar giving us a substantial safety factor.

If the kegs do get old and scratched it's very easy to fill them with water(NOT GAS) and do a hydro test. We recommend pressurizing them to 6bar for a couple min. If they pass this test then they are safe to keep using them.

I am not sure that is really a good comparison. The plastic kegs referred to in this article were injection molded glass reinforced plastic kegs that are very brittle and they had a tendency to burst in a way that shot out dangerous solid fragments if they were over-pressurised. The kegs had not PRV fitted to them either.

Our kegs are made from PET and during the burst testing we have done they do make a very loud bang when they are burst but they do not fragment in the same way. Also all our kegs have a pressure relief that is well below the burst pressure. The burst pressure is normal between 9-11 bar giving us a substantial safety factor.

If the kegs do get old and scratched it's very easy to fill them with water(NOT GAS) and do a hydro test. We recommend pressurizing them to 6bar for a couple min. If they pass this test then they are safe to keep using them.
Thank you for the clarification.

Outstanding customer service, right there! Thank you, Kegland.

Outstanding customer service, right there! Thank you, Kegland.
They clarified for the benefit of their reputation, yet haven’t answered the question about availability of the smaller size that I am aware of. Which BTW is like $5 and out of stock, as compared to $20 when it’s in stock. So, I’m not gushing with praise about that issue.

https://patch.com/new-hampshire/portsmouth-nh/osha-fines-redhook-63-500-in-ben-harris-case
I had no idea plastic kegs could be deadly!

"The employee was using a compressed air line to purge liquid from the interior of a plastic keg when the keg exploded, causing parts of it to fatally strike the worker."

I'm still going to get one of these for taking beer to a friends house, looks perfectly portable

from the article...........

"According to Edmund Fitzgerald, the U.S. Department of Labor's regional director of public affairs in Boston, Craft Brew Alliance (CBA), now has 15 days to appeal the $63,500 in fines."

Fitzgerald? Wait, what?..........

1689887854450.png

I wonder if they get asked whether they're the Edmund Fitzgerald who is the U.S. Department of Labor's regional director of public affairs in Boston.

sorry to resurrect an old thread but for anyone still interested in the 4l pet oxebar kegs which i think are still not available, i have been having great success so far with these 2.5 and 3.5 liter pet bottles with kegland's tee piece and carb caps. i found these available in the tri-state area and are $5.99 for the 2.5 and $6.49 for the 3.5 liter. they are very versatile, cheap, easy to use, and compact. so far so good .

Attachments

• 1693593562597.png
    1693593562597.png
    531.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1693593695041.png
    1693593695041.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1693593711014.png
    1693593711014.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 0
Back