Overrated Breweries at GABF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taste in beer is entirely subjective - drink what you like. Personally I've had *almost* enough of Dogfish Head's "be unique" schtick, but they still make some mighty delicious beers and are a great 'gateway' brewery for new enthusiasts.

I wish he'd listed the "dozen IPA that are more balanced and more flavorful than Racer 5" instead of *****ing on and on about something else.

I agree with most of the comments.

Although.... "The usual Colorado elitism."

Does that really exist or is this "blogger" making Colorado beer enthusiasts look like idiots?

yeah, who decided it was better to have balance in an IPA anyways?

This is another reason that I really don't like following anyone's advice on what to drink or buy, without first tasting it my self. There's over 1400 craft breweries in the US with varying averages of 8-10 beers each. I'm no math whiz, but that quite a few options out there. That being said it's impossible that any 2 or 3 people are going to agree on what is a great beer or brewery and which ones should sell their fermenters and go into te bottled water business...Beer is like music, food, politics etc... If anything I think that, expecially some of the breweries this guy calls out, the craft beer movement is challenging people to make choices on their own and drink what they think taste good, not what their buddies are drinking, not what a commercial said or just because of a hype.

No, he doesn't.

I still don't see where the merit in this article is? He's just stirring up ****.

Every blurb is filled with disparaging remarks about the brewery.

Quote about DFH:

"Still, they are so strong, so unusual, that I can't drink more than a couple of sips of any of them."

Seriously?

Yeah, I don't get all the DFH hate. It seems like people need to hate something that's popular and like something that's obscure (and most often terrible) in order to prove their brew knowledge prowess.

DFH makes many great beers that are very drinkable: 60,90 Minute IPA, Indian Brown Ale, Aprihop, just to name a few. Whats wrong with having several solid beers and a bunch of experiments. Homebrewing is about experimentation, why criticize them for doing just that on a larger scale?

Bloggers are dumb, and they're killing journalism as we know it :ban:

I see more wrong with many of the angry comments here than I do in his opinions of overhyped breweries. You would think he just called some of your mothers whores. People have determined he is a hipster, an elitist, trying to flame bait the Internet, doesn't know anything about craft beer, and numerous other crazy determinations from a fairly straightforward opinion piece.

He thinks the breweries are overhyped (important detail lost on some of you). Some of you disagree. After reading through his list again I have to say I agree with two of his overhyped takes and the others I don't have any experience with. I read his thoughts and took them for what they are, his opinion.

This leads to another phenomenon in American society where people can't have a healthy debate anymore. Personally I blame it on the polarization of the population by the two-party political system. Heck, even the candidates don't really "debate" anymore. It's more Candidate 1 talks for 5 minutes and then Candidate 2 talks for five minutes without really acknowledging anything the other person just said. We aren't able to appreciate other perspectives anymore. It's actually enlightening and rewarding to have a healthy dialogue with somebody that has an opposing opinion. There is a respect that is shared when you can articulate your thoughts and listen to theirs.

He thinks the breweries are overhyped (important detail lost on some of you). Some of you disagree. After reading through his list again I have to say I agree with two of his overhyped takes and the others I don't have any experience with. I read his thoughts and took them for what they are, his opinion.

So now we're talking a "micro-brew" that's overhyped compared to others that are what we call "not as successful". Is he just playing "I know this breweries name, so their beer should be better" game? I'm not sure what his goal is outside of saying the overhyped/successful microbreweries aren't any better than the less successful ones. I'm surprised he didn't call out Sam Adams in the post.

Dogfish Head - as said in this thread the 60 min is a great IPA, the 90 is a great double and I feel the 120 is a bit much. The Raison etc. are what they are experimental / different beers, but i'll grab a 60 IPA almost over any other normal IPA.

Russian, I have no experience with.

Brooklyn in my experience makes good beer and they're cheap in NYC. At Citi Field, the Brooklyn's cost as much as a Bud Light, points for them.

Goose - They're all over the place in New England right now, thanks to the Craft Brewers Alliance, and they make good beer. He has no commentary on their beer outside of his comment about 2000 Colorado beers with nothing to back it up. Is being in the CBA "over-hyped" for him?

Bear Republic - I was so disappointed in the Racer 5. Just not my speed but a good beer.

New beglium - no experience with.

All of those breweries are assets to the craft brew industry and are making damn fine beers. Searching for a reason to tear them down is pretty lame IMO.

I admit I have only had two of the beers on the list. I am going to make it my duty to assemble the entire cast, and to have one a night, as my first brew of the evening, and to make my on opinion. ( Since I have not had a lot of the micros yet, my opinions should not be too heavily swayed.) I'll compare y results with his opinions.

Maybe I need to thank the guy - his article may help me find the best beer I have never had....

Yeah, I don't get all the DFH hate. It seems like people need to hate something that's popular and like something that's obscure (and most often terrible) in order to prove their brew knowledge prowess.

DFH makes many great beers that are very drinkable: 60,90 Minute IPA, Indian Brown Ale, Aprihop, just to name a few. Whats wrong with having several solid beers and a bunch of experiments. Homebrewing is about experimentation, why criticize them for doing just that on a larger scale?

Bloggers are dumb, and they're killing journalism as we know it :ban:

120 Minute IPA will be late because of "Bad" yeast and they won't sell it. If that does not tell you something about what they are about I dunno what will.

I find that an almost offensive attack on good breweries by a "beer snob". He's entitled to his opinion like everyone else, but I like that we don't have to deal with those haughty hipster wine snobs in the craft beer community (usually). I guess with growing popularity though we'll have to adjust to this sort of thing. Just because he doesn't like some of them or has had so many of them they no longer seem special doesn't mean you should label them "overrated". Way to promote solidarity in the community.

And anyway, how the heck do you call Lenny's more balanced than others he listed!? To me it's a one note resin judo chop to the palate (my opinion and yet I don't attack Coney Island personally).

I think a brewery's reputation is defined more by their passion for beer rather than who likes what.

You have the breweries out there that are brewing the classics. They do it well. Their pale ale isn't particularly crazy recipe-wise, but the care and attention to detail that has gone in to making it is overwhelming. It tastes fresh, smells amazing, and is basically everything a pale ale should be.

Then you have breweries out there that are brewing off the wall crazy beers. They come up with new ideas and new flavors. They push the boundaries of what is considered "acceptable." Naturally, the beers won't have much mass appeal. But groups here and there will really like this beer or that beer.

The thing both have in common is that they love beer. They are both advancing brewing, just in different ways. The first by refining their methods, the second by expanding their recipes. And the brewing community as a whole is enriched all the more when both are present.

As annoying as the hipsters may be, let them enjoy craft beer. For now, it's helping out the industry. Does it suck that these people are most likely drinking craft brews as a trend? Absolutely. Hopefully, however, it will force breweries to generate new ideas and new brews to keep this crowd, and hopefully others, entrenched in the craft beer trend.

As for the article itself, to each his own. Do I disagree with some points and agree with others? Yes. I'm a big fan of DFH, not afraid to admit that. I don't love all of their beers and I don't expect anyone to. I think when a company (any company, not just a brewery) is growing at the fast rate DFH seems to be growing, you can expect a lot of hype because people are going to be wondering why they are growing so fast and that will create a buzz.

Lastly, I really agree with the post made by mojotele about a brewery's reputation being defined by passion. I'll use DFH just because it's the first example off the top of my head. If they are willing to throw out an entire batch of 120 min because it wasn't meeting their quality standards, that's awesome. It just goes to show the dedication they have in putting out quality brews. I'm sure there are tons of other craft breweries that would exercise those measures, DFH was just the one I thought of first.

All in all, not everyone will like the same thing or have the same opinion and that's fine. I say cheers to everyone enjoying their own favorite beers!

Opinions.. ********, etc..

I was at a talk about "Craftbeer activism" at GABF, when one old man in the crowd asked the question:

"How do you feel about people knocking/dismissing certain craft breweries that have become "too large" and/or popular?

The panel chortled, as he was standing right next to where Greg Koch was sitting. They deferred the question to Greg who simply stated "To hell with 'em, there's plenty of craft beer to go around" (or something to that effect).

Which goes along with my point that there are now so many breweries of varying scales there's bound to be differences in opinion on which ones are amazing! and which one's are just (supposedly) over-hyped.

I found the blog article to be rubbish.

Wow, I am getting tired. Thank God we have different people with different opinions or we would all be drinking yellow fizz.

I agree with most of his comment particularly with New Belgium i think their Belgium styles triple & abby.... well suck!

It's hard to go off of what one person thinks, because especially with beer, tastes vary greatly. And to be overrated, you have to be highly publicized, which is why Dogfish Head, Brooklyn, New Belgium, Goose Island, etc., are high visibility targets. I won't say which brewery I think is overrated, but I think the brewery that impresses me the most (time after time) with their brews is Great Lakes out of Cleveland...just one outstanding brew after the next.

come on guys he is a shi%%y blogger, ive no doubt that he isnt a homebrewer, and maybe he doesnt know how to taste a good beer.

I think maybe we can disagree with people without calling them names.

Or maybe we can't.

I blame the Baby Boomers for wrecking our fine society. Them and 4chan. I have met our enemy and he is us.

Seriously though, you only need to go as far as the "what is the worst beer you have ever had" thread to observe what we already knew, that people have widely varied tastes. If some people think that Chimay and Newcastle are the worst beers they ever tasted, it's likely that someone out there has different taste in beer than you do.

They aren't personally attacking you. It's not like the guy posted a list of "Women Whose Vaginas Are Overrated" and put your mom in the top five. It's just an opinion about some breweries.

(If the brewery in question is your friend and gives you free beer then I can understand your indignation--and please can you hook me up with your friend?)

I think if you write and you say something is overrated, you are required to say precisely who is overrating them.

That didn't happen.

Exactly who is saying that Fat Tire is a world beater? It's a popular beer, but even those that drink it don't tell me I am drinking manna from the Gods.

As for the beers and "hype", who the hell do you guys hang out with? Literal 16year old girls?

overrated was the word not world beater. To answer your question the same people that love imported fosters lager ...from Canada. really most beer consumers buy the branding not whats in the bottle

overrated was the word not world beater. To answer your question the same people that love imported fosters lager ...from Canada. really most beer consumers buy the branding not whats in the bottle

So you are saying that these people, with whom you have no regard for their opinion, are rating these beers more highly than they should.

I suppose we should open a thread about how pre-teens overrate Justin Bieber then.

Meah. I dunno. I love Sours, Belgians and Weird ****, but at the same time will happily chug most anything from Sam Adams or a Negra Modelo. BUT I can't stand Fat Tire and pretty much all of DFH except for the 60min IPA.

Everybody has different tastes, and I happen to agree with some of what the author says.

Years ago, I owned a music store (back when you could still buy LP's and cassettes). The "hip" kids would flock in to buy the new album by Erasure when they were on an indie label, and simply fawn all over them.

When Erasure signed to a major label, the same kids would complain that the "band has sold out" and never buy another release.:confused:

So you are saying that these people, with whom you have no regard for their opinion, are rating these beers more highly than they should.

I suppose we should open a thread about how pre-teens overrate Justin Bieber then.
who am i to get in the way of your love for the bieber ? :D

I'm sayig there's a lot hype/ branding and a fair number buy beers because of this. A friend buys fat tire almost exclusivity he's into the whole bike culture here in Portland( bike central USA) he's clearly more enthralled with fat tire's sustainability & bike culture. He doesn't care what fat tire beer he drinks in fact when he has his a pint i can ask what he's drinking and he doest know other than fat tire he doesn't ask for a wit, abby, 1554 or tripel (which fat tire spells wrong by the way) he asks for a fat tire, whats his favorite fat tire there's all awesome.

No offense to anyone, but I disagree 100%. The only thing in there that I agree with is that Fat Tire isn't awesome. But like he said, I don't know anyone who really loves the stuff because it is an awesome beer. It is a solid flagship beer and good for drinking without thinking, just like almost every flagship beer in existence...

I would not read this duder's blog.

I'm basically with you on this except I can't stand any of New Belgium's beers. Not sure why.

Back