Overrated Breweries at GABF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like Bear's Hop Rod, but it's not something I could drink on a regular basis. I don't think I've ever had anything else from them.

I've never had Pliny, or anything else from Russian River, so I can't comment.

Brooklyn is OK, and the few beers I've had from Goose Island were pretty good.

Dogfish definitely belongs on the list (and at the top).

I think New Belgium should be on there, too. In the #2 spot.

No offense to anyone, but I disagree 100%. The only thing in there that I agree with is that Fat Tire isn't awesome. But like he said, I don't know anyone who really loves the stuff because it is an awesome beer. It is a solid flagship beer and good for drinking without thinking, just like almost every flagship beer in existence...

I would not read this duder's blog.

The only thing in there that I agree with is that Fat Tire isn't awesome. But like he said, I don't know anyone who really loves the stuff because it is an awesome beer. It is a solid flagship beer and good for drinking without thinking, just like almost every flagship beer in existence...
The only time I drink Fat Tire is when I am in a restaurant that offers nothing other that BMC and Fat Tire. :D

The only thing I really LIKE from NB is Ranger. 1554 hits the spot sometimes, but not always.

it seems if a brewery makes a beer that a lot of people like, the "craft brew" crowd will automatically hate it.

Wow, what a pointless article.

How about the 6 most UNDERRATED breweries? What does this article accomplish?

Every one of those breweries produces great beer.

Ever thought that maybe they just don't fit into the styles he enjoys?

Very lame article, IMO.

it seems if a brewery makes a beer that a lot of people like, the "craft brew" crowd will automatically hate it.

I don't think that's true, but there is a current trend of hipsters latching on to craft beer because it's obscure and "cool." The hipsters are the people that will abandon ship once a beer gets enough recognition to go mainstream because then they don't see it as a cool thing to drink.

Craft brew drinkers know when a beer is hyped above what it offers.

I don't think that's true, but there is a current trend of hipsters latching on to craft beer because it's obscure and "cool." The hipsters are the people that will abandon ship once a beer gets enough recognition to go mainstream because then they don't see it as a cool thing to drink.

I hate hipsters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish he'd listed the "dozen IPA that are more balanced and more flavorful than Racer 5" instead of *****ing on and on about something else.

I agree with most of the comments.

Although.... "The usual Colorado elitism."

Does that really exist or is this "blogger" making Colorado beer enthusiasts look like idiots?

Every one of those breweries produces great beer.

Did you read the blog post or did you just read the list of beers? In almost every one he states the brewery makes good beer; That's not in question. He was simply stating his opinion about breweries that the craft beer community has elevated above what they offer.

In almost every one he states the brewery makes good beer;

No, he doesn't.

I still don't see where the merit in this article is? He's just stirring up ****.

Every blurb is filled with disparaging remarks about the brewery.

Quote about DFH:

"Still, they are so strong, so unusual, that I can't drink more than a couple of sips of any of them."

Seriously?

Yes, I read it. I still don't see where the merit in this article is? He's just stirring up ****.

He's a blogger so he's just publishing his opinion. Some people will agree and some won't. I would imagine the merit of the post is to open up the discussion, much like it has done here.

Personally, I don't understand the hype around Dogfish Head. They make good beer and they experiment a lot, which is cool. However, when they continue to get $8-10 for a 4-pack of IPA I think the community has elevated their beer above where it should be.

It's just an opinion and you know how the saying goes, "opinions are like..."

They make good beer and they experiment a lot, which is cool. However, when they continue to get $8-10 for a 4-pack of IPA I think the community has elevated their beer above where it should be.

If you are referring to 90 minute, that is technically a DIPA, and I see plenty of four packs of other DIPAs priced similarly.

He's a blogger so he's just publishing his opinion. Some people will agree and some won't. I would imagine the merit of the post is to open up the discussion, much like it has done here.

Personally, I don't understand the hype around Dogfish Head. They make good beer and they experiment a lot, which is cool. However, when they continue to get $8-10 for a 4-pack of IPA I think the community has elevated their beer above where it should be.

It's just an opinion and you know how the saying goes, "opinions are like..."

Bloggers like this give bloggers a bad name, though. I guess I just get tired of this elitist mentality.

Also, $8-10 for a 9% ABV 4 pack of great beer (90 Minute IPA) is reasonable, especially compared to the $10-15 bombers coming out more and more.

Quote about DFH:

"Still, they are so strong, so unusual, that I can't drink more than a couple of sips of any of them."

Seriously?

I fully agree with that statement. The 60 minute is not strong or unusual, but the rest of their beers seem to be, IMO. Hell, at one point they had a beer that was green and have live algae in it.

Seriously.

Bloggers like this give bloggers a bad name, though. I guess I just get tired of this elitist mentality.

Also, $8-10 for a 9% ABV 4 pack of great beer (90 Minute IPA) is reasonable, especially compared to the $10-15 bombers coming out more and more.

I don't know this blogger from a stranger on the street, but I'm not sure how he is giving bloggers a bad name. He doesn't come out and say he doesn't like these beers because they're popular. There are a lot of craft breweries he could have put on the list if that was the case, Bell's, Sierra NV, Lagunitas, Stone, Rogue, the list goes on and on. I think he did a decent job putting reasons behind his opinions even if some of them are off the mark. The Dogfish Head comment about their beer being too strong and unusual is just plain wrong, but it's his opinion.

A non-starter written by a blogger trying to draw attention to himself. Pick great, successful breweries, sniff a lot, and tell the uneducated masses that I, the great expert, consider them to be overrated. What a waste of Al Gore's Internet.

Trashing is easy...why doesn't he pick underrated breweries? Because LIKING something is not as cool (and defendable) as NOT LIKING something. He would have to offer concrete reasons.

Can't really say I agree with that, at all.
DFH is way ahead of the pack for experimental beer. Stuff like Red and White, Bitches Brew, Palo Santo, and Midas Touch are all fantastic beers, not to mention 60- and 90-minute IPAs are amazing as well

Pliny is everything you would hope for and more, and they make some of the best sours in the country.

Racer 5 is an extremely well made IPA, and IMO is one of the best on the west coast

New Belgium is deserving of all its praise for their Lips of Faith series alone.

I fully agree with that statement. The 60 minute is not strong or unusual, but the rest of their beers seem to be, IMO. Hell, at one point they had a beer that was green and have live algae in it.

Seriously.

I don't find beer made with a brewer's saliva to be strange at all ;)

No, he doesn't.

I still don't see where the merit in this article is? He's just stirring up ****.

Every blurb is filled with disparaging remarks about the brewery.

Quote about DFH:

Seriously?

This is where he lost credability for me as well. I love some of DFH's beers. Sounds to me like he likes a mild beer he can drink as fast as possible.

A non-starter written by a blogger trying to draw attention to himself. Pick great, successful breweries, sniff a lot, and tell the uneducated masses that I, the great expert, consider them to be overrated. What a waste of Al Gore's Internet.

Trashing is easy...why doesn't he pick underrated breweries? Because LIKING something is not as cool (and defendable) as NOT LIKING something. He would have to offer concrete reasons.

I agree 100%, but the fact that you are trashing him is friggen ironic. maybe you should go through and post underated blogs...instead of tearing down what this ****** blogger does....

If he was just trying to piss people off, I'm surprised Stone and Sierra Nevada didn't make his list. Actually if he had put Sierra I would kind of agree with at least ONE of his choices, so nevermind. I'm really surprised that Brooklyn made the list, I didn't even think people claimed that they were one of the better breweries out there. I love Local 1, but I'd agree that the majority of their offerings are kind of "meh". I just really haven't hear anyone say otherwise to make me think they qualify as overrated. I really enjoyed his reason for why Goose Island isn't very good. They just "remind him of the selection in Colorodo in 2000". What is that even supposed to mean?

The real flaw I'm seeing here is that he's calling the entire brewery overrated based on his opinion of one or two of their more popular beers. You don't like Pliny or some of the DFH beers, fine, I'll question your sanity a little but if that's the way you feel I'm not gonna argue with you. But to say that the vast majority of craft beer drinkers out there are wrong because their opinion differs from yours? That's just conceited.

If he was just trying to piss people off, I'm surprised Stone and Sierra Nevada didn't make his list. Actually if he had put Sierra I would kind of agree with at least ONE of his choices, so nevermind. I'm really surprised that Brooklyn made the list, I didn't even think people claimed that they were one of the better breweries out there. I love Local 1, but I'd agree that the majority of their offerings are kind of "meh". I just really haven't hear anyone say otherwise to make me think they qualify as overrated. I really enjoyed his reason for why Goose Island isn't very good. They just "remind him of the selection in Colorodo in 2000". What is that even supposed to mean?

The real flaw I'm seeing here is that he's calling the entire brewery overrated based on his opinion of one or two of their more popular beers. You don't like Pliny or some of the DFH beers, fine, I'll question your sanity a little but if that's the way you feel I'm not gonna argue with you. But to say that the vast majority of craft beer drinkers out there are wrong because their opinion differs from yours? That's just conceited.

Go to the brewpub at Sierra, drink for a day, and get back to me on that opinion. They are making amazing beer.

As for that entire article, it is just a load of ****. A guy looking for numbers for his publication. His opinions are just that, and he looks like a total idiot slamming Bear Republic after drinking two of their beers. Way to go, that guy.

Go to the brewpub at Sierra, drink for a day, and get back to me on that opinion. They are making amazing beer.

Don't get me wrong, I love some of the SN stuff out there. I generally pick up bigfoot and the harvest ale every year. The collab stuff they've been doing has been awesome. I've just been really underwhelmed by the stuff they've been coming out with in our area lately. Torpedo & Glissade really didn't hit me well at all. I'm sure the fresh stuff at the brewpub is great, but I can't really count it for the same reason I didn't mention all the stuff I've had at the DFH brewpub. It's not distributed, so it really doesn't factor into the majority of people's opinions about the brewery.

I agree with almost every beer on his list.

Wow, a lot to disagree with in that article.

"Still, they are so strong, so unusual, that I can't drink more than a couple of sips of any of them. (Dogfish)" Beers that are not easy-drinking disqualify a brewery? That would disqualify an awful lot of good breweries. At DH I can think of Festina de Peche, Palo Santo brown and their X-minute IPA's which are among the best in their categories.

"Pliny the Elder . . .Temptation and Supplication are good as well" - Right. Isn't good beer an argument FOR it being a good brewery?

"Brooklyn Brewery. . .have yet to find one that was better than average."

Local Two saves these guys. An amazing strong dark belgian.

"Goose Island . . . about ten years behind Denver when it comes to beer."

I was there on Monday. Barrel aged Hefeweizens and dark Belgians; it would seem to measure up against anything (say) Pizza Port can do.

"​New Belgium,. . .Take the Lips of Faith beers if you can find them. Fat Tire falls flat."

I agree - again, doesn't this argue FOR this brewery?

All personal preference of course, but they were an odd selection of breweries to rail against. Especially Russian River, DH and Goose Island, three of the more innovative (IMO) breweries out there.

Did any read the comments. I think this explains it all:

Jen says:
Ugh, some craft beer lovers are like freakin' hipsters and the minute something becomes popular with the masses they bail on it and pretend they never liked it. Just drink what you like and get over yourselves.

It's all a matter of opinion and personal preference.

Don't see what the issue is with the blog posting.

^ This

We really are an insufferable bunch, eh? It's almost quitting time and I have some Caribou Slobber to bottle, a Nukey Brown to brew and pitch on the Wyeast Northwest Ale cake and a malt-bomb IPA to rack to secondary where some centennial and cascade will be waiting. :mug:

Blogger: has a right to his opinion
Critical Reader: had a right to dislike Blogger's opinion
Blogger: being cited for typing about what he doesn't like, as opposed to what he likes
Critical Reader: typing about NOT liking Blogger for typing about what Blogger doesn't like
Breweries: get money
HBT: gets wadded panties
Me: Head Asplode from the Ironies.

Seriously... the more people read and comment the blog posting, the more "cred" this guy gets for having put his rather meager opinion piece on the Internet in the first place. Wasn't that one of the great things about beer? You drinking less of what you don't like leaves more for the rest of us? :)

Just for the record, I've never had a DFH I didn't like... except for Raison D'Etre... have serious problems getting through more than half a bottle of that stuff. So rich and earthy and overwhelmingly spicy/sweaty... it makes 90min seem positively "drinkable" by comparison. :)

Ya know, I can't really tolerate anything Sierra Nevada puts out.

I know, I know...tar and feather me and run me out of town on a rail...but if their beers tasted like anything but a mouthful of cascade hops, I might enjoy it.

Ya know, I can't really tolerate anything Sierra Nevada puts out.

I know, I know...tar and feather me and run me out of town on a rail...but if their beers tasted like anything but a mouthful of cascade hops, I might enjoy it.

It's amazing how varied the human palate is. Tumbler is the most boring brown ale ever produced by a craft brewer. Glissade has an odd, cloying tart/sweetness to it after more than one. The rest of their beers are phenomenal. PA, Torpedo, Summerfest, Celebration, Kellerweis, all of the Harvest and Estate offerings and the 30th Anniversary series are fantastic. I haven't had their stout or porter.

Why give any credence to something so subjective as taste?
Why give any credence to a blogger?

I think i'll write a blog on the best song ever written:rolleyes:

We just gave this guy how many more page views for his un-insightful article. Damn it.

At any rate, I personally think he is way off the mark. But oh well, just another blogger on the interwebs.

Personally, if the Hipsters are drinking craft beers I think I'll just go back to BMC. I live in the Wicker Park neighborhood of Chicago which is ground zero for hipsters and I can't stand them. I think the next time I see one riding by me on a double bike I'm going to puke.

One of my favorite sites: http://www.latfh.com/

Well, obviously this guy is a sh**head.

And since when was Denver/Colorado the greatest beer city/state in America. I've been there a bunch of times and its marginally ok at best. Oskar blues. Please brother.

I agree with the blog. There is waaaay too much hype for some of these breweries. Today's "micro"- breweries are like rock stars, and we are like teenage girls idolizing the breweries. Beer is beer, there is nothing on the face of this Earth someone else hasn't brewed before. But the breweries need the hype to stay in business, that's how the things work.
I would add the Firestone Walker to the list, just because of the "aging in oak" BS, and because their head brewer has to look like a punk-rock starlet from the 90's, of course.

Back