Overpitched? WLP 530 Abbey Ale too neutral of a taste.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
I brewed my first Dubbel based on Jamil's Dubbel and used the WLP530 Abbey Ale yeast as recommended.
The resulting beer is a very delicious and drinkable beer but not as 'Beligian' as I expected. The yeast character is quite neutral without too much of the estery/phenolic taste that one would expect from a Dubbel.
I'm thinking there could be three reasons:
1. I used a 2L starter for a 6 gallon batch. Too much healthy yeast maybe?
2. It fermented at 20c/68f. Too cold?
3. I kegged it and I'm wondering of the bottle conditioning is important for the taste (Like the Belgians claim).

What do you think?

Probably #1 and #2. I love this yeast and use it at a wide range of temperatures. I get spice or fruit from it. Cool it is cleaner, I try to let it go to about 75. People's taste varies too, some of my friends like more extreme flavor. Under-pitched it tastes sharp to me, though time mellows that.

You may have overpitched and fermented a little too cool. I tend to let this one get into the low 70's to finish out. This strain also evolves with time. I get a nice apricot note from it after about 2 months.

I also agree. Underpitching belgians, at leats for me, works best. Warmer temperatures are also implied with belgian yeast strains. I have fermented 2 belgian beers at " ale " temperature, meaning 62-63F and I hated those beers. They were not what I was after.

Ok thanks for the info. Next time should I skip the starter and pitch straight in?

Belgian ales can be a complex thing to capture.

In Brew Like a Monk there's some evidence that breweries actually cellar their beer after just two weeks fermentation to actually capture the flavors. I'm not willing to try that.

I have notice that a lot of my belgians are cleaner than commercial examples. I've attributed that to the fact I've been over pitching because I've been fermenting from 16c through a gradual temp swing to 22 and still am getting a clean flavor profile.

In Brew Like A Monk its suggested to try under-pitching and Stan tells a story of how some American brewers brewing belgians were successful after decreasing their pitch rate.

I've also only been brewing with first generation yeasts.

Belgian ales can be a complex thing to capture.

In Brew Like a Monk there's some evidence that breweries actually cellar their beer after just two weeks fermentation to actually capture the flavors. I'm not willing to try that.

I have notice that a lot of my belgians are cleaner than commercial examples. I've attributed that to the fact I've been over pitching because I've been fermenting from 16c through a gradual temp swing to 22 and still am getting a clean flavor profile.

In Brew Like A Monk its suggested to try under-pitching and Stan tells a story of how some American brewers brewing belgians were successful after decreasing their pitch rate.

I've also only been brewing with first generation yeasts.
Starting at 16 is rather cold though isn’t it? Would be better maybe to start at 19 and work it’s way up to 24.

Starting at 16 is rather cold though isn’t it? Would be better maybe to start at 19 and work it’s way up to 24.
I agree, depending on the Belgian strain I usually pitch around 18 and then set the fermentation chamber at 19-21C I usually keep that temperature 24-48 hours depending on how heavily it ferments, then ramp it up 1C per day until I hit desired ending temperature. This ensures great attenuation as well. Not sure about the underpitching though as I always make a calculated starter. However I have used a bigger then needed starter in the past because I couln't make the beer as high ABV as calculated. Pitched the whole culture anyway and I found out it eliminated sulphur/rotten egg smell completely which this yeast is notorious for. (wyeast Forbidden fruits).

Ok thanks for the info. Next time should I skip the starter and pitch straight in?

Use a yeast calculator like brewers friend and target either the .5 (mfg recommended) or the .75 pitch rate. There is nothing worse (barring off flavors) to drink than an under attenuated belgian. I personally use the .75 for belgains and the 1.0 for most other ales.

WLP 530 can be pretty neutral at 68° I like to pitch at 65° and set my temp to 68° for the first 12 hours of activity then I bump 1-2° per day to 75° The lower temp allows for some phenol development (clove, pepper) as well as control of fusel alcohol and the rise up into the 70's promotes ester formation. I like to be at 70° at around the 24hr active mark. I generally only let the beer free rise but I live in FL where that is an easy option.

Back