overfilling the airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbabyboy4021x

Reaction score
is there any problem with overfilling the airlock? theres a line on mine where u are supposed to fill it to and i overfilled it and now that the middle piece has risen up from the co2 the water in the airlock is JUST below the very top of it...this isnt going to cause a problem is it? im not too worried if a little water gets sucked in or spills out the top of the airlock since theres not a whole lot of water in there anyway but i just want to make sure theres not something im overlooking that this could cause a problem

the only issue you might run into overfilling the airlock with water is possible suck back into the fermenter if you have a temperature (or barometer) change once fermentation has slowed. There is enough positive pressure to prevent that when you have fairly active fermentation. Find some cheap vodka to fill your airlock with. It doesn't support any kind of infection, and if you should get any suck back you'll just be upping your ABV (by a tiny amount :D).

Terje

Back