Over-pitch from commercial slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkopp0153

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Munich Helles (1.051) and received a lager yeast (similar to Wyeast 2007) slurry from my local brewery so I decided to pitch it. He gave it to me in a sanitized pickle jar, roughly 450 ml. Solid yeast, little to no trub.
I also made a 2000 ml starter with it because it sat in my fridge for 2-3 weeks.
I probably doubled the amount that Mr Malty calculates and a 6 weeks after fermentation and lagering, the beer has a bit of yeasty/egg aroma and flavor. I've brewed lagers with success in the past to achieve a nice crisp malt flavor. I don't have that on this one and was wondering if I just simply overpitched?
And is it possible to correct this? I'm assuming time lagering could help, and maybe a shot of gelatin. Any other techniques, tricks to get rid of yeasty flavors to allow the maltiness to come through?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back