Over-oaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurtHagenlocher

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I left my rye porter on oak cubes a little too long and now the oak flavor is a bit overwhelming. Is this something that will dissipate (or at least mellow out) with time?

(Yes, I should have been tasting it regularly and taking it off the oak once I was satisfied with the flavor. Try and learn.)

Oaking is one of those things that is easy to overdo.

Yes, it will mellow with time, but I can't say how long. It depends on much you used, and how long the beer sat on the oak. It may take a few weeks, or a few months.

As someone who is going to oak my first beer, how long did you oak for?

Were your oak cubes soaked in liquor prior to adding?

I soaked ~1.75 ounces of "American medium-plus toast" in rye whiskey for about four days, then put them into a carboy and siphoned 3 gallons of rye porter on top of it. I lost track of how long they were there -- that's part of my problem -- but I think it was ~6 weeks.

I don't remember how much whiskey I used, but would guess it was about a quarter of liter.

I've only had one foray into making oaked beers, but I used 2 shotglasses full (sorry, not the most precise measurement) of French oak chips, toasted and soaked in 4 oz. of bourbon for 6 months. I added the whole thing (bourbon and all) to the secondary for 1 week. The final product had an assertive oak flavor at about 1 month in the bottle, without being in your face. I've set some aside for aging to see how it tastes at 6 months-1 year.

Back