Over Oaked NB Bourbon Barrel Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redraider77

Reaction score
I know this subject has been discussed all over the forum but I'm trying to determine the best course of action for my particular circumstance. I brewed the Northern Brewer kit and pretty much followed these steps:

1) Soaked 3 oz of oak cubes in 16 oz of Maker's mark during primary fermentation (3 weeks)
2) Dumped cubes and bourbon in a carboy.
3) Racked beer on top of the cubes and bourbon in the carboy.
4) Let sit for a month. (I should have checked it sooner but forgot about it)
5) Sampled yesterday. Tasted like I was drinking from an old log.

The 3 options I see are:

1) Let it ride like it is for how ever long it takes for the oak to dissipate.
2) Rack it to another carboy to get it off the oak and bulk age from there.
3) Bottle and let it age in bottles.

Thanks for any insights.

Did I read it right that you poured 16oz of Maker's Mark into the beer along with the cubes?

I may rack it to another carboy tonight to get it off the oak. I wont have time to bottle until next week.

I'd bottle it and let it age out. The oak flavor will fade a little with time as the beer conditions.

Or, you could brew the same beer again and blend the 2 batches to lessen the oak flavor.

Yes. Believe it or not that's what the instructions say.
Sure enough, the instructions say " Then add the oak cubes and bourbon to the secondary fermenter and wait an additional 1 – 2 weeks before bottling." I think that may be an error on their part.

If you brew another batch, I'd just add oak cubes and not bourbon, and if the second batch turns out great you know that was it. If you find the second batch is lacking in bourbon flavor, you can blend them to make more than five gallons of beer you like.

Interesting that you got such strong oak. What kind of oak did you use? I just brewed this beer but did 4 gallons as a vanilla porter and only 1 gallon as bourbon barrel. I scaled the bourbon and oak addition back to match and at 2 weeks the oak was crazy strong but by 4 weeks it had mellowed out and was very drinkable. I thought the bourbon was a little muted. Present, but very mild compared to what I've read others post.

Decided to move it to an empty carboy I had to get it off the oak. I think I will let it sit for another 4 weeks and maybe bottle after that.

Back