over fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coast2coast

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch and I have been fermenting for 10 days. I dont have enough bottles for all my beer and I dont want to prime and bottle half the beer. Will my brew go bad if i let it sit around and continue fermenting?

No. Not at all. Ever (in most cases :D). It's called aging.

Usually, the recommendation is to primary for at least 3 weeks. Most instructions that say 10 days are giving you the minimum amount of time until the beer is ready to be bottle. However, many beer styles can take much much longer to complete fermentation, and many of those require a length of time to age just to be drinkable.

What recipe or kit are you using? This will give us a better idea of what time frame you are looking at. Also, do you have a hydrometer? This is really the only reliable way to ensure fermentation has completed. In most cases, leaving it for a few extra days (or even weeks or months) will only help your beer.

3 weeks is probably the max depending on your beer type. You will get some off flavors if your beer sits on the yeast cake too long.

3 weeks is probably the max depending on your beer type. You will get some off flavors if your beer sits on the yeast cake too long.

Proof or gtfo..

Hahaha but no really I've left some brews on for a lot longer and They've been awesome as per the norm!

That Myth has been busted for a long time now. As has HSA (within reason), Autolysis (again within reason), and the reasonable use of sugar.

I ferment usually a minimum of 3 weeks, sometimes 5-6 if it's a stronger beer, or if the fermentation goes slow (think saison...)

The extra time will be better for your beer. Now go buy some beer and start stocking up on your bottle needs!

Definitely don't bottle it before its done fermenting. You might end up with a nice beer aroma, carpet stains, and broken glass in your storage area (like I do possibly from the same mistake)

You can't really OVER ferment. You don't want to bottle before fermentation is completely over anyway (or your bottles may explode). I've had a beer on a yeast cake for 2 months with no problems.

im using a fat tire home brew kit so it is an amber ale. it will be two weeks this friday but I dont anticipate bottling before thanksgiving maybe a little bit before. does anybody have a good place to get bottles for cheap/free?

im using a fat tire home brew kit so it is an amber ale. it will be two weeks this friday but I dont anticipate bottling before thanksgiving maybe a little bit before. does anybody have a good place to get bottles for cheap/free?

buy beer, drink beer, wash bottle, sanitize bottle, fill bottle, cap bottle, wait 3 weeks and go back to step 2.

Make sure you don't use bottles that had screw off tops, they are not strong enough for natural carbonation.

so is there anything wrong letting it sit longer? it will be in there 4 weeks on sunday and I don't know when I will get an opportunity/desire to bottle. wish i had a keg

so is there anything wrong letting it sit longer? it will be in there 4 weeks on sunday and I don't know when I will get an opportunity/desire to bottle. wish i had a keg

NO...That's the point of all the million threads....you don't have to worry....in fact waiting more than likely will improve your beer.

I just bottled a batch that sat in primary for 5.5 months and it tasted fine and dandy.

Back